Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Foxtrot, May nominations (Apr 30th)

What's your job?

mightysparks
Site Admin

What's your job?

Post by mightysparks »

Inspired by Leopardi's post in 'Post Your iCM Ranking' thread.

I'm currently a full-time retail assistant and I work 10am-6.30pm, 5 days a week.

(hence no time for movies :( )
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Parttime physics teacher in high school, three days a week. Parttime dad rest of the week.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

I have been a both a junior employee/officer of – and President/Adminstrator/Manager of - businesses, departments, multi-million dollar projects, and professional organizations.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

I am a forum fairy.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

mightysparks on Jul 5 2013, 02:57:54 PM wrote:I am a forum fairy.
I thought that word was offensive nowadays.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

I could use this opportunity to vent but I'll try not to. Unemployed now with only 2 classes left to graduate. Looked for a job the last 2 weeks of April, all of May, and the first 3 weeks of June. Not one call back, not even from fast food joints. Taking a break now due to lack of motivation after that. I'm trying again starting July 15th after Bluesfest which my brother bought me a pass for. I'll just walk into every store possible and apply. If nothing after 2 weeks, I'm going to employment assistance. If there's still nothing after that, I guess I gotta apply for unemployment/welfare.

No experience and no references at all makes this so hard. It'd be cool to work in Invisible Cinema (cinephile movie rental store), one of the 2 arthouse/exploitation theatres here, or the record store, but if anything those places are over-employed.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Non-quote answer. I graduated from uni a couple of weeks ago and I'm currently unemployed.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Lies.

I'm the ADMINISTRATOR of an active website with almost 500 members....that takes a LOT of work. The website did not pop out of anyone's ass, and there isn't a Forum Fairy who comes and keeps it clean, organized, and energized.

I should point out at this stage that these are quotes from somewhere else. Sorry to people who have no idea what we're on about.
Last edited by AdamH on July 5th, 2013, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

AdamH on Jul 5 2013, 03:03:16 PM wrote:
Lies.

I'm the ADMINISTRATOR of an active website with almost 500 members....that takes a LOT of work. The website did not pop out of anyone's ass, and there isn't a Forum Fairy who comes and keeps it clean, organized, and energized.

I should point out at this stage that these are quotes from somewhere else. Sorry to people who have no idea what we're on about.
I spent probably 60 hours working to put the site together, and I spent that amount of time knowing how important it was to have everything in order before we went wide to ensure the success of the site (which in hindsight was a BRILLIANT effort if I may say so because the site is running like a well oiled machine).

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

mightysparks on Jul 5 2013, 03:05:09 PM wrote:
AdamH on Jul 5 2013, 03:03:16 PM wrote:
Lies.

I spent probably 60 hours working to put the site together, and I spent that amount of time knowing how important it was to have everything in order before we went wide to ensure the success of the site (which in hindsight was a BRILLIANT effort if I may say so because the site is running like a well oiled machine).
I am extremely proud of the unofficial iCheckMovies forum that I not only had the inspiration to create, but also worked extremely hard to create, and continue to work hard to administer so there is a place for positive discussion and energy for the iCheckMovies site. My site is officially AN “Unofficial iCheckMovies forum.”
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

I'm in plastics. There's a great future in plastics.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

AdamH on Jul 5 2013, 03:12:50 PM wrote:
mightysparks on Jul 5 2013, 03:05:09 PM wrote:
AdamH on Jul 5 2013, 03:03:16 PM wrote:Lies.

I am extremely proud of the unofficial iCheckMovies forum that I not only had the inspiration to create, but also worked extremely hard to create, and continue to work hard to administer so there is a place for positive discussion and energy for the iCheckMovies site. My site is officially AN “Unofficial iCheckMovies forum.”
I know the group means a lot to you - and trust me in saying it means 1000 times more to me - it's like my baby and I have to protect it and care for it and think of everyone on it and not just you.

Is there any situation in which there isn't a suitable Larry quote available? I think not.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

brokenface on Jul 5 2013, 03:13:56 PM wrote:I'm in plastics. There's a great future in plastics.
You sell Tupperware?
ICM-profile
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

brokenface on Jul 5 2013, 03:13:56 PM wrote:I'm in plastics. There's a great future in plastics.
I just wanna say one word to you. Just, one word... plastics.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

mightysparks on Jul 5 2013, 03:16:21 PM wrote:
AdamH on Jul 5 2013, 03:12:50 PM wrote:
mightysparks on Jul 5 2013, 03:05:09 PM wrote:I spent probably 60 hours working to put the site together, and I spent that amount of time knowing how important it was to have everything in order before we went wide to ensure the success of the site (which in hindsight was a BRILLIANT effort if I may say so because the site is running like a well oiled machine).
I know the group means a lot to you - and trust me in saying it means 1000 times more to me - it's like my baby and I have to protect it and care for it and think of everyone on it and not just you.

Is there any situation in which there isn't a suitable Larry quote available? I think not.
We each have a position of responsibility leading a major website associated with iCheckMovies. Are we at war? Are you going to reach back in peace?

---

If such a situation exists then I don't want to know about it.
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

joachimt on Jul 5 2013, 02:42:14 PM wrote:Parttime physics teacher in high school, three days a week. Parttime dad rest of the week.
just a part timer! - harder work than a full timer probably
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

I have to admit to work for a major Bank in a big administration building, and currently on shifts early am start and can finish 2.30 pm often. Have to make some key decisions, its not like working in a branch and actually enjoy it sometimes. I used to work an evening shift instead but managed to change. Also run a part time business selling books and other items online.

I try to watch one film a day most days and more at the weekend despite this so hanging on to a front page spot at the moment on ICM.
Last edited by Cippenham on July 5th, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff »

I'm an insurance salesman for Pacific All-Risk. That's a honey of an anklet you're wearing.
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

WalterNeff on Jul 5 2013, 04:58:34 PM wrote:I'm an insurance salesman for Pacific All-Risk. That's a honey of an anklet you're wearing.
had to think about that one for a minute, got it -Walter Neff a successful insurance salesman for Pacific All Risk, "returns to his office building in downtown Los Angeles late one night"...Walter, you're all washed up.
Last edited by Cippenham on July 5th, 2013, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

I get paid to do other people's homework and make them look smart.
Last edited by burneyfan on July 5th, 2013, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leopardi
Donator

Post by Leopardi »

mightysparks on Jul 5 2013, 02:36:11 PM wrote:Inspired by Leopardi's post in 'Post Your iCM Ranking' thread.

I'm currently a full-time retail assistant and I work 10am-6.30pm, 5 days a week.

(hence no time for movies :( )
Ah, sorry, I was going to start this thread tonight once I had a little more time--I should have been quicker about it!

I have a background in physics, but I now work in a fiber optics lab with engineers developing optical transceivers. If you're using the Internet right now (and I bet you are!), chances are your data's flowing through one of our networks at one point or another when going from Point A to Point B.

The hours can be pretty bad (I think I was around 100-110 a week in November/December, but things are easing up now) but I'm just glad to be employed right now and the people I work with are great for the most part. Usually I try to fit movies in in the early morning or right before bed, catching up with my backlog during the weekend when I can.
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

burneyfan on Jul 5 2013, 05:19:38 PM wrote:I get paid to do other people's homework and make them look smart.
I see you put up your sexy librarian/bookseller avatar for that statement.

I get paid to talk about literature, especially Russian literature, which is something I'd do for free. Grading papers doesn't leave much time for movies or a so-called life, though.
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Jul 5 2013, 06:57:30 PM wrote:
burneyfan on Jul 5 2013, 05:19:38 PM wrote:I get paid to do other people's homework and make them look smart.

I get paid to talk about literature, especially Russian literature, which is something I'd do for free. Grading papers doesn't leave much time for movies or a so-called life, though.
That one's a bookseller! It's Dorothy Malone in The Big Sleep -- the scene at the rare book dealer's (I worked for a rare book dealer before I left the dark side for a library job). I'd planned to change my avatar a few days ago (I change it monthly), but I haven't been around much and when I came back for the Degrees of Separation challenge, which I thought was supposed to be in July, it didn't seem to be happening, so I dawdled.

One of my biggest regrets is not pushing through to a PhD in Comparative Lit (or better yet, English -- my reasons for going into Comp Lit after I got my library degree were wrongheaded) so I could wind up teaching British literature at (likely) a low-key community college; I loved my work for the bookseller and all the libraries, but the most exciting, fulfilling time I ever had was working as an English T.A. teaching British lit to non-majors -- mostly kids who'd wound up in British Lit because American and World Lit were both full. :thumbsup: I couldn't wait to go to work every day. It was at a massive university, so we did everything but a few hours of auditorium lecture a week; we had the students all of the small-group lecture/discussion time, writing work, all tutoring, testing, and grading. There are a lot of career-related things I'd do differently if I had a time machine.
Last edited by burneyfan on July 6th, 2013, 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

burneyfan on Jul 5 2013, 07:58:18 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Jul 5 2013, 06:57:30 PM wrote:

That one's a bookseller! It's Dorothy Malone in The Big Sleep -- the scene at the rare book dealer's (I worked for a rare book dealer before I left the dark side for a library job). I'd planned to change my avatar a few days ago (I change it monthly), but I haven't been around much and when I came back for the Degrees of Separation challenge, which I thought was supposed to be in July, it didn't seem to be happening, so I dawdled.

One of my biggest regrets is not pushing through to a PhD in Comparative Lit (or better yet, English -- my reasons for going into Comp Lit after I got my library degree were wrongheaded) so I could wind up teaching British literature at (likely) a low-key community college; I loved my work for the bookseller and all the libraries, but the most exciting, fulfilling time I ever had was working as an English T.A. teaching British lit to non-majors -- mostly kids who'd wound up in British Lit because American and World Lit were both full. :thumbsup: I couldn't wait to go to work every day. It was at a massive university, so we did everything but a few hours of auditorium lecture a week; we had the students all of the small-group lecture/discussion time, writing work, all tutoring, testing, and grading. There are a lot of career-related things I'd do differently if I had a time machine.
Oh, I recognize the avatar, all right. The most simultaneously sexy and hilarious scene in cinema.

I think we all wonder about career choices after a certain age; I have my regrets as well, of course. But the trick is to see the life thing as a garden of forking paths (literary reference) and savor the path you're on. Who knows what would have shifted had you made another choice? Would you still have that child you now can't live without?
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

burneyfan on Jul 5 2013, 07:58:18 PM wrote:That one's a bookseller! It's Dorothy Malone in The Big Sleep -- the scene at the rare book dealer's (I worked for a rare book dealer before I left the dark side for a library job). I'd planned to change my avatar a few days ago (I change it monthly), but I haven't been around much and when I came back for the Degrees of Separation challenge, which I thought was supposed to be in July, it didn't seem to be happening, so I dawdled.
Dorothy Malone had a pretty interesting film career trajectory from The Big Sleep to Artists and Models to Basic Instinct.

I'd host the Degrees of Separation Challenge if I knew what it was. and I'd apologize for it starting late. :unsure:
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Jul 5 2013, 09:35:44 PM wrote:
burneyfan on Jul 5 2013, 07:58:18 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Jul 5 2013, 06:57:30 PM wrote:I see you put up your sexy librarian/bookseller avatar for that statement.

Oh, I recognize the avatar, all right. The most simultaneously sexy and hilarious scene in cinema.

I think we all wonder about career choices after a certain age; I have my regrets as well, of course. But the trick is to see the life thing as a garden of forking paths (literary reference) and savor the path you're on. Who knows what would have shifted had you made another choice? Would you still have that child you now can't live without?
You're right, of course (and that Borges story you nodded at is one of my favorites!). Life is usually pretty pleasant, and with the way corporate information centers are going, I can probably look forward to 1-2 more big career shifts before I have the option to retire. Actually, retirement seems an unlikely prospect altogether; it's early, but assuming everything continues as it has, I'll be trying to fund TWO college tuitions (or bail funds!), not just one. It's early, but everything looks great; I'm due in early February. I have already had to inform the disappointed preschooler that "Baby Angrybirds" will not be among the sibling name choices. :P
DulceDoes

Post by DulceDoes »

I work at the SAP Center at San Jose working different positions depending on the event. I'm always a cook during hockey games though.
burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan »

funkybusiness on Jul 5 2013, 10:04:15 PM wrote:
burneyfan on Jul 5 2013, 07:58:18 PM wrote:That one's a bookseller! It's Dorothy Malone in The Big Sleep -- the scene at the rare book dealer's (I worked for a rare book dealer before I left the dark side for a library job). I'd planned to change my avatar a few days ago (I change it monthly), but I haven't been around much and when I came back for the Degrees of Separation challenge, which I thought was supposed to be in July, it didn't seem to be happening, so I dawdled.
Dorothy Malone had a pretty interesting film career trajectory from The Big Sleep to Artists and Models to Basic Instinct.

I'd host the Degrees of Separation Challenge if I knew what it was. and I'd apologize for it starting late. :unsure:
Oh, no worries -- I didn't have that much movie-watching time this month available, anyway! I thought the challenge was really fun when we did it before, though -- if you look in the old challenges, you can probably find the thread from...around autumn 2011, I think? I forget which month it was. Everyone started from the same common/big movie -- that time, it was Lawrence of Arabia (though if you'd seen it before, you didn't have to re-watch it) -- and each subsequent movie you watched was connected to the previous one, until the next-to-last movie connected back to Lawrence of Arabia. For example:

Lawrence of Arabia ----> Alec Guinness wears a robe ------> Star Wars (IV) -----> Peter Cushing in supporting role ----> Moulin Rouge (1952) ----> film about a physically-challenged painter ----> My Left Foot ---> 1989 films ---> The Karate Kid Part III ----> winner of a worst-picture Razzie ----> Baby Geniuses...

Eventually it gets back to Lawrence. Some of the connections were funny.
Last edited by burneyfan on July 6th, 2013, 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

That sounds fun. It seems like there is some pre-challenge setup so maybe I'll start something in a couple weeks for next month if that's okay.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Cippenham on Jul 5 2013, 04:48:24 PM wrote:
joachimt on Jul 5 2013, 02:42:14 PM wrote:Parttime physics teacher in high school, three days a week. Parttime dad rest of the week.
You mean the teacher-part or the dad-part?
ICM-profile
jvv
Donator

Post by jvv »

burneyfan on Jul 5 2013, 10:49:49 PM wrote:Actually, retirement seems an unlikely prospect altogether; it's early, but assuming everything continues as it has, I'll be trying to fund TWO college tuitions (or bail funds!), not just one. It's early, but everything looks great; I'm due in early February. I have already had to inform the disappointed preschooler that "Baby Angrybirds" will not be among the sibling name choices. :P
Congratulations. :party:
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

joachimt on Jul 6 2013, 03:07:26 AM wrote:
Cippenham on Jul 5 2013, 04:48:24 PM wrote:
Both probably :lol:
Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor »

I just started a job as a research technician in a biology related field after finishing my masters. Days are very varying, some days are quiet and some days unexpected things happen and then the workload seem to never decrease. While studying I worked weekends and holidays as a fish farmer.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Cippenham on Jul 6 2013, 03:10:10 AM wrote:
joachimt on Jul 6 2013, 03:07:26 AM wrote:
Cippenham on Jul 5 2013, 04:48:24 PM wrote:just a part timer! - harder work than a full timer probably
Both probably :lol:
I don't think I want to do either of them full time. I'm pretty happy this way. ^_^
ICM-profile
Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

I'm a parliamentary reporter at the Dutch parliament. Nice job with an irregular working schedule, which I find much more agreeable then a customary 9-to-5 job.

One of my dreams is becoming a professional film critic for a major newspaper, but I'm afraid that will stay a dream forever. Well, I'm fine this way. :)
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
Gregmnewman

Post by Gregmnewman »

I'm a freelance business analyst and started a very dull contract 4 weeks ago.

burneyfan on Jul 5 2013, 10:49:49 PM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Jul 5 2013, 09:35:44 PM wrote:

You're right, of course (and that Borges story you nodded at is one of my favorites!). Life is usually pretty pleasant, and with the way corporate information centers are going, I can probably look forward to 1-2 more big career shifts before I have the option to retire. Actually, retirement seems an unlikely prospect altogether; it's early, but assuming everything continues as it has, I'll be trying to fund TWO college tuitions (or bail funds!), not just one. It's early, but everything looks great; I'm due in early February. I have already had to inform the disappointed preschooler that "Baby Angrybirds" will not be among the sibling name choices. :P
Congratulations!! You are very blessed!
Timec

Post by Timec »

I write web marketing content (blogs, Google ads, lead-gen landing pages, etc.) for various companies. I also write the actual website content for said companies.

My biggest success is a series of spam ads for [url=http://www..thisisnotarealsite..com]High Quality Kitchens in the UK[/url].

...I don't think it's something I can do for more than another year or two (you can only write so many blogs about topics you don't care about before getting burned out,) but it's been really nice having a full-time job with a steady schedule. I feel like I've been more productive in all areas of life in the last year (since I got the job) than I ever was when I only worked 15-25 hours a week and had lots more free time.
Spoiler: click to toggle
jk about the kitchen spam.

maybe...
Last edited by Timec on July 7th, 2013, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

I Check Movies
and I Get Distracted A Lot, part-time
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD, r/antinatalism recommends,..
the rest
ANARCHISTS, ANIMAL RIGHTS, Assisted suicide, Existential films, SOCIALIST CINEMA (an amalgamation of lists), Feminist lists, various GSSRM lists (aka LGBTQ+), 2010s bests, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, mah huge sci-fi list, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
TheRedDeath

Post by TheRedDeath »

Translator