21. 3.0* - Summer Breeze of Love [Che Goh Ha Tin Yau Yee Sing] by Joe Ma (2002) [Hong Kong]
A surprisingly decent film from Joe Ma. A romantic comedy written around "the twins" doesn't sound too appealing on paper. Truth be told, you don't have to expect miracles from this film either, but Summer Breeze of Love turns out to be quite effective, offering light and easily digestible entertainment that never feels misplaced.
The film bathes in a warm summer glow, which is definitely part of the appeal. Some slick and attractive camera work certainly doesn't hurt either. Even Choi and Chung seem to be feeling at ease here. Not that Joe Ma asks a lot of their characters, the romance and the resulting drama is quite stereotypical, but they deliver on what they're asked to do.
The comedy is pretty typical for a Hong Kong film, which may put people off if they're not familiar with it, but even then the romance and light drama is probably enough to redeem this film. Summer Breeze of Love delivers exactly what it promises, and just as long as you don't expect anything too deep or serious that should be enough.
It's like discovering America
02. 2.5* - Troublesome Night 6 [Yam Yeung Lo 6: Hung Chow Hon] by Herman Yau (1999) [Hong Kong]
03. 3.0* - Winner Takes All [Chak Wong Ji Wong] by Jing Wong (1982) [Hong Kong]
04. 3.0* - The Magnificent Trio [Bian Cheng San Xia] by Cheh Chang (1966) [Hong Kong]
05. 3.5* - Giant Fish [Da Yu] by Yue Yin (2020) [China]
06. 2.0* - The Owl Vs Bombo [Mao Tou Ying Yu Xiao Fei Xiang] by Sammo Kam-Bo Hung (1984) [Hong Kong]
07. 2.0* - Youth [Fang Hua] by Xiaogang Feng (2017) [China]
08. 3.5* - Heroes Shed No Tears [Ying Xiong Wu Lei] by Yuen Chor (1980) [Hong Kong]
09. 2.0* - The Secret Rivals [Nan Quan Bei Tui] by James Nam, See-Yuen Ng (1976) [Hong Kong]
10. 2.5* - Treasure Hunt [Mou Ga Ji Bo] by Jing Wong (2011) [Hong Kong]
11. 3.5* - All's Well, Ends Well Too [Faa Tin Hei Si] by Clifton Ko (1993) [Hong Kong]
12. 2.0* - Touch and Go [Yi Chu Ji Fa] by Ringo Lam (1991) [Hong Kong]
13. 2.5* - When I Look Upon the Stars [Tian Xuan Di Lian] by Dante Lam [Hong Kong]
14. 1.0* - The Generation Gap [Pan Ni] by Cheh Chang (1973) [Hong Kong]
15. 1.5* - The Dragon Tamers [Nu Zi Tai Quan Qun Ying Hui] by John Woo (1975) [Hong Kong]
16. 3.5* - The Thousand Faces of Dunjia [Qi Men Dun Jia] by Hesheng Xiang, Qiuliang Xiang (2020) [China]
17. 1.5* - Winner Takes All [Da Ying Jia] by Clifton Ko (2000) [Hong Kong]
18. 2.0* - Happy Family [Fung Lau Ga Chuk] by Herman Yau (2002) [Hong Kong]
19. 3.0* - The Shaolin Avengers [Fang Shi Yu yu Hu Hui Qian] by Cheh Chang (1976) [Taiwan/Hong Kong]
20. 2.5* - The Golden Era [Huang Jin Shi Dai] by Ann Hui (2014) [China/Hong Kong]