Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th), 1933 (May 12th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Rest in Peace

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

^ Just saw that on FB. What a bizarre situation. Between this and the Trump phone call, 2021 is off to a weird start.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Y'all need to stop ganging up on RBG. She didn't rejoice at his death in her first post, but simply asked people not to make him out like some grandiose saint. And then stated her opinion about his body of work. A polite rebuke Γ  la PA is fine, but I think some of you are needlessly ragging on her and making a mountain out of a molehill.
RBG wrote: ↑January 4th, 2021, 8:10 pm I was mostly annoyed that a prominent woman director passed and y'all took no notice. But I'll stop now :rip:
Who was that, RBG?
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Fergenaprido wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 1:56 am
RBG wrote: ↑January 4th, 2021, 8:10 pm I was mostly annoyed that a prominent woman director passed and y'all took no notice. But I'll stop now :rip:
Who was that, RBG?
RBG wrote: ↑January 3rd, 2021, 11:00 am no mention of joan micklin silver? i just watched chilly scenes of winter at christmastime. she passed on new year's eve, age 85. RIP

one of the few woman directors working in hollywood during the 70s-80s
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

I honestly did not know who Silver was, but I'm very sorry to hear that she died. It turns out that I saw and enjoyed Bernice Bobs Her Hair starring Shelley Duvall. I know what Crossing Delancey is, it's on my DVR from when I recorded nearly all of the Women Make Film selections from TCM.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
sebby

Post by sebby »

Fergenaprido wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 1:56 am Y'all need to stop ganging up on RBG. She didn't rejoice at his death in her first post, but simply asked people not to make him out like some grandiose saint. And then stated her opinion about his body of work.
People treated her with kid gloves given how little tact she showed. Believe it or not the RIP thread was not created to be a safe space/echo chamber for her every thought and concern, where she could play provocateur with impunity. If you're going to wear that hat, at least be willing to also wear the negatives that go along with the very nice little feeling of superiority you get after doing a little shit-stirring. And the needless jab about being reminded why she doesn't come here anymore (I'm guessing bc it's not a safe space/echo chamber for her every thought and concern) and throwing up a middle finger like a moody teenager? Someone needs to grow the fuck up.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Ah, thanks PA. Didn't realize it was someone RBG had already posted in the thread; I thought it was someone as yet unmentioned.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

sebby wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 2:57 am
Fergenaprido wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 1:56 am Y'all need to stop ganging up on RBG. She didn't rejoice at his death in her first post, but simply asked people not to make him out like some grandiose saint. And then stated her opinion about his body of work.
People treated her with kid gloves given how little tact she showed. Believe it or not the RIP thread was not created to be a safe space/echo chamber for her every thought and concern, where she could play provocateur with impunity. If you're going to wear that hat, at least be willing to also wear the negatives that go along with the very nice little feeling of superiority you get after doing a little shit-stirring. And the needless jab about being reminded why she doesn't come here anymore (I'm guessing bc it's not a safe space/echo chamber for her every thought and concern) and throwing up a middle finger like a moody teenager? Someone needs to grow the fuck up.
Yeah, the middle finger gesture was not very reasonable. (Side note: why do we even have that emoji? It seems like it's begging for trouble.) I'm sure I'm being some type of offensive by saying that, but it's pretty hard not to be irritated by it when you've been nothing but polite to someone. You certainly don't have to like people yelling at you, but if you're going to be on the internet, you should be able to handle respectful disagreement.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I would have written about Silver but you beat me to it. I didn't have anything to add beyond what you had already written.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: ↑January 4th, 2021, 10:31 pm
What the fuck! This is the first time I've had to retract a death notice.
jal90

Post by jal90 »

Doesn't this come after Dolwphin's two consecutive jabs at her?

Then again, she was dismissive? Yes. Provoking? I've seen much worse, honestly. Looking at the discussion, there's been as much bitterness on her part as there's been overreaction and misinterpretation, I wonder if somewhat intentional at some instances. Like the mention of KKDs 2018 release has suddenly shifted in the middle of the conversation and some have started asking her to validate or double check her statements saying that the ones she watched do not feature rape. Like calm down, she wasn't saying that anywhere.

And kind of a double standard to be talking about safe spaces and echo chambers when your post sounds so much like wanting to preserve an environment by letting her rants out.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

jal90 wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 4:17 am as there's been overreaction and misinterpretation, I wonder if somewhat intentional at some instances.
I plead guilty on (over)interpreting her(?) first comment here, and I indeed automatically tried to read what was standing between the lines. Funny thing is: I was right by my (over)interpretation. Her provocation worked 100% on me :) (millennials would say, I've been successfully triggered) and a debated started on exactly the things she wanted to be stressed here.

RBG wrote: ↑January 3rd, 2021, 11:00 am stop lionizing abusive asshole kim ki-duk. at least he won't make any more bad films
I mean, what would a user assume to follow after such a remark in a Rest in Peace thread where users like Onderhond & me (and others) called KKD a great or one of their favorite living directors just days before? That we respond with "Okay" and that's it? "Yeah you're right, hands down." - "Changed my mind, abusive asshole, kbai"

None of us is stupid. It's a rude thing RBG posted and it's provocative af (in the context of this thread!), so there we go, reactions followed. Some of them civil, some of them less civil.
And the first thing I guessed was she wasn't even familiar with the work of KKD - again, 23 years, 25 films - and bingo, I was right. So from her first comment, it never was on the quality of his films (how would she know). That's something I find wildly ignorant.

If you, again, interpret her message in another way, all could have developed in a more constructive manner, e.g. if we take her 'any more bad films' and understand it as 'toxic films'. That's more comprehensible, although I still find it weird to principally debate about directors with someone who basically hasn't seen anything. Her later evaluation of KKD makes him sound like a Korean pinku Lars von Trier who revels in rapefests on and off camera. (Okay, here I exaggerated again, sorry.)

So, I feel it was a) tactless to rush into the fresh RIP post with her 2-sentence-provocation, b) it looked just so ignorant to me knocking down his work as "bad" [while basically not knowing it...] and c) it was finally truly insulting to make KKD fans from the 00s look like weirdos "whose thing" are "orgies of rape and violence". Wtf. None of us even ever said they're "enjoying" this certain aspect of his dramas, especially when NONE OF US had seen the so negatively described 2018 film.

That's where I feel misunderstood again. Abuse, rape and sexual violence are present in many forms in many types of films from Hollywood to Asia, from exploitation rubbish to arthouse drama. I find a lot of that irritating to say the least. I watch some controversial stuff, but it's not like I can't form my opinion on it. I almost had to quit an Indian film recently because the amount of rape made me sick. And I still agree with the sentiment by Pretentious Hipster: Problematic content can be watched and discussed. We're speaking of Cannes level here. Too relevant to ignore for me. I can still like aspects of the film or the aesthetics and come to the inclusion that parts of a film are messed up or despicable and I can condemn it afterwards.

RBG started from another point of KKD's career, as it seems, and decided he's - he was - a misogynist abusive ass and rapist and thus his films [which allegedly only thematize rape and violence - not true] can be ignored.

In my opinion, the truth is somewhere in the middle, isn't it?

Again, hehe, that indeed was not her wording, but we all could guess what she meant. And she changed her words to "happy" later.

We had a debate, maybe learned something of it (KKD was not cool; his filmwork had more aspects than what a 2018-scandal revealed) - maybe didn't. For me that is fine.

No hard feelings intended here.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Also, keep in mind that Polanski & Woody Allen are age 87 and 85 now - we will have the fundamental debate on "art vs. artist" again, maybe sooner than later. Just training for the real thing. :ph43r:
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

If it had been a generally disliked director like Victor Salva then no-one would've really cared about RBG's comment, even if others had expressed being fans...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sebby

Post by sebby »

jal90 wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 4:17 am

Then again, she was dismissive? Yes. Provoking? I've seen much worse, honestly. Looking at the discussion, there's been as much bitterness on her part as there's been overreaction and misinterpretation, I wonder if somewhat intentional at some instances. Like the mention of KKDs 2018 release has suddenly shifted in the middle of the conversation and some have started asking her to validate or double check her statements saying that the ones she watched do not feature rape. Like calm down, she wasn't saying that anywhere.

And kind of a double standard to be talking about safe spaces and echo chambers when your post sounds so much like wanting to preserve an environment by letting her rants out.
Oh you've seen worse? Cool. That has no bearing on anything, so :thumbsup:

And that last paragraph -- lolwut? Thanks for the chuckle I guess.

No one actually seems to think KKD is a good dude. Read the posts. But how and when you choose to talk about the subject of his not being a good dude -- knowing that it is a minefield and that none of us are actually clued in too far into the truth of it all (this ain't a Cosby or Polanski type of situation) -- says a lot about whether you are a person capable of engaging in the nuanced discourse the subject demands. Everyone can sling shit at a wall and scream at it. But you know what? It's not pleasant to be in the presence of that kind of behavior. Sometimes it's just enough. :shrug:
RBG

Post by RBG »

bingo. thank you

i'll exit your safe space now :hmph:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

No one cared or knew who she was, I guess? :shrug:
People can moarn whoever the fuck they want on a RIP thread in a movie forum and Ki-Duk Kim's work is awesome, get over it.
That film in particular "Human, Space, Time and Human" was his best in years, but you didn't watch it or even bothered to understand why other people would like it. What a waste of everyone's time.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Considering that the worst and second worst film ever made imo is by Kim Ki-Duk I don't really trust your recommendation for Human, Space, Time and Human... especially when RYM considers it his worst film as well.
rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 »

I was kinda tempted to make a similar comment to RBG as I thought the eulogizing of KKD without a single mention of all the controversies was rather tone-deaf.
jal90

Post by jal90 »

Torgo wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 5:37 am
jal90 wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 4:17 am as there's been overreaction and misinterpretation, I wonder if somewhat intentional at some instances.
I plead guilty on (over)interpreting her(?) first comment here, and I indeed automatically tried to read what was standing between the lines. Funny thing is: I was right by my (over)interpretation. Her provocation worked 100% on me :) (millennials would say, I've been successfully triggered) and a debated started on exactly the things she wanted to be stressed here.

RBG wrote: ↑January 3rd, 2021, 11:00 am stop lionizing abusive asshole kim ki-duk. at least he won't make any more bad films
I mean, what would a user assume to follow after such a remark in a Rest in Peace thread where users like Onderhond & me (and others) called KKD a great or one of their favorite living directors just days before? That we respond with "Okay" and that's it? "Yeah you're right, hands down." - "Changed my mind, abusive asshole, kbai"
And she was in the wrong there. Latter admitting it was a frustrated jab at nobody mentioning Joan Micklin Silver's death.

Then everything else happened.
None of us is stupid. It's a rude thing RBG posted and it's provocative af (in the context of this thread!), so there we go, reactions followed. Some of them civil, some of them less civil.
And the first thing I guessed was she wasn't even familiar with the work of KKD - again, 23 years, 25 films - and bingo, I was right. So from her first comment, it never was on the quality of his films (how would she know). That's something I find wildly ignorant.

If you, again, interpret her message in another way, all could have developed in a more constructive manner, e.g. if we take her 'any more bad films' and understand it as 'toxic films'. That's more comprehensible, although I still find it weird to principally debate about directors with someone who basically hasn't seen anything. Her later evaluation of KKD makes him sound like a Korean pinku Lars von Trier who revels in rapefests on and off camera. (Okay, here I exaggerated again, sorry.)
And I'd agree with that, if she'd ever tried to portray her points in the conversation like they came from a position of experience, instead of visceral and immediate dismissal. But she just said he's a bad director according to two films and then proceeded to express her disgust about him doing rapey stuff. To put it a little differently: it really is ignorant to be judging the quality of a director's entire output after having watched two films, but it is not in the slightest ignorant, and it's rather a personal and political choice, to reject the entire body of work of a director because 1) he is a real life abuser and 2) there's the perspective that his revolting attitude has creeped into his body of work, one way or another. And it really is okay to be making this decision.
So, I feel it was a) tactless to rush into the fresh RIP post with her 2-sentence-provocation, b) it looked just so ignorant to me knocking down his work as "bad" [while basically not knowing it...] and c) it was finally truly insulting to make KKD fans from the 00s look like weirdos "whose thing" are "orgies of rape and violence". Wtf. None of us even ever said they're "enjoying" this certain aspect of his dramas, especially when NONE OF US had seen the so negatively described 2018 film.

That's where I feel misunderstood again. Abuse, rape and sexual violence are present in many forms in many types of films from Hollywood to Asia, from exploitation rubbish to arthouse drama. I find a lot of that irritating to say the least. I watch some controversial stuff, but it's not like I can't form my opinion on it. I almost had to quit an Indian film recently because the amount of rape made me sick. And I still agree with the sentiment by Pretentious Hipster: Problematic content can be watched and discussed. We're speaking of Cannes level here. Too relevant to ignore for me. I can still like aspects of the film or the aesthetics and come to the inclusion that parts of a film are messed up or despicable and I can condemn it afterwards.
I mean, seeing things from one side is tricky, but seeing how her initial phrase is "don't lionize abusive asshole Kim Ki-duk", I wonder if it was worth feeling attacked and targeted in the first place. And then the argument gets nastier, so one can expect nastiness from both sides. "Fine, enjoy his rape and violence for all i care" after "she's ignorant and trying to lecture us", "she's ignorant and trying to lecture us" after "it doesn't bother you", "it doesn't bother you" after "we don't know about these allegations", "we don't know about these allegations" after "don't lionize this asshole". Talk about a succession of overreactive posts.

And I'm individualizing on you two here since you basically were the ones communicating and throwing jabs at each other, but the atmosphere was already kind of heavy. Perhaps it could have been better if PA became the focal point of the discussion.
RBG started from another point of KKD's career, as it seems, and decided he's - he was - a misogynist abusive ass and rapist and thus his films [which allegedly only thematize rape and violence - not true] can be ignored.
That's precisely what I'm saying, her thinking that his films are bad (the one's she's watched) and her not wanting to watch any more films due to the alleged presence of rape and violence are different conclusions. She's not saying she has ever watched rape themes in KKD's body of work, just that she knows that there are and that disgusts her and further cements her choice to not watch any more of them. Because it sounds like rejoicing over his own alleged crimes to her. Does it mean that every movie of KKD has these themes? I don't think so, but if you despise somebody personally for what he did and are already lukewarm at best to keep exploring his filmography, knowing this may be the final nail in the coffin for you.

Then again, that's a personal choice. Watching the movie(s) and either ignore or feel disgusted by the creepy parts afterwards is another. You two shouldn't be arguing for what you personally decided to do.
In my opinion, the truth is somewhere in the middle, isn't it?
As usual :P
sebby wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 6:21 am
jal90 wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 4:17 am

Oh you've seen worse? Cool. That has no bearing on anything, so :thumbsup:
Oh, thanks for the snark. I thought my statement was appropriated after your attempt to villainize RBG and justify mob mentality and condescendence.

Wait, you didn't mean that? Then drop this whole glorified "actions have consequences" discourse, all while ignoring any other sides to the argument that aren't the ones you can use to make RBG feel unwelcome in this thread.
And that last paragraph -- lolwut? Thanks for the chuckle I guess.
When you say "be willing to wear the negatives" *proceeds to ignore Dolwphin's posts, Torgo's increasing passive-aggressiveness, DareDaniel's "reported"* you are justifying the consequences of an act, and implicitly saying RBG's rant is not welcome here. It's you who painted a safe space here and I don't take this safe space for granted. This thread doesn't belong to either of us, and much less to an ill-defined collective of people who decide what's appropriate and what's not.
No one actually seems to think KKD is a good dude. Read the posts. But how and when you choose to talk about the subject of his not being a good dude -- knowing that it is a minefield and that none of us are actually clued in too far into the truth of it all (this ain't a Cosby or Polanski type of situation) -- says a lot about whether you are a person capable of engaging in the nuanced discourse the subject demands. Everyone can sling shit at a wall and scream at it. But you know what? It's not pleasant to be in the presence of that kind of behavior. Sometimes it's just enough. :shrug:
Torgo said "we don't know if these allegations are true", which is a way to defend him RBG takes perhaps more seriously than Torgo intended, because it implicitly means doubting the victims' version. I don't think I need to explain the sensitivities on that matter, specially given how often the credibility of rape and abuse victims is questioned, both socially and legally, which is the stance RBG comes from. And then the whole argument has been them both overreacting at each other with guest appearances from people either trying to calm things down or throwing even more disrespectful jabs. And I'm saying this because I have actually read the posts.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I spend way too long a time finding a cute enough stop sign (with a note on how we really shouldn't tear into each other like this, especially on the rest in peace thread) and now jal90 has posted a sensible and conciliatory conclusion. Thank you!

Anyways, I will still post it - as darn it - it took a while and it is both cute and inoffensive:

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

blocho wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 3:54 am
It's even worse. The boyfriend was being interviewed and got a phone call mid-interview and was like "wait what she's alive"

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

RBG wrote: ↑January 4th, 2021, 9:47 pm I'm sorry ale, ur the best :$ the rest of you :finger:
:hug:
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
RBG

Post by RBG »

Knaldskalle wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 4:15 pm
RBG wrote: ↑January 4th, 2021, 9:47 pm I'm sorry ale, ur the best :$ the rest of you :finger:
:hug:
Mods excepted :whistling: and xianjiro :wub: thx jal90 :thumbsup:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

What happened here? I don't really want this to end in people quitting the forum. I think this thread should get back to being the RIP thread instead of an argument. I don't think it's going to get resolved in a positive way any time soon.
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

:facepalm:
Last edited by DareDaniel on January 5th, 2021, 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

Christ. If people wonder why film sites are male dominated, here is Exhibit A.
jal90

Post by jal90 »

AdamH wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 4:51 pm What happened here? I don't really want this to end in people quitting the forum. I think this thread should get back to being the RIP thread instead of an argument. I don't think it's going to get resolved in a positive way any time soon.
Yeah same here, this is just a bit too heated up. Sorry for contributing to the mood, it's not like there's ill intention in anybody (I hope), just some initial clashing that got more violent than it should. I think the positions are clear now.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Tanya Roberts

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

blocho wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 3:54 am
I retract the retraction.
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

AdamH wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 4:51 pm What happened here? I don't really want this to end in people quitting the forum. I think this thread should get back to being the RIP thread instead of an argument. I don't think it's going to get resolved in a positive way any time soon.
No one is going to leave the forum, she just said it to get attention.
jeroeno

Post by jeroeno »

Tanya Roberts Is Still Dead, Despite Her Rep Having Said She Was Alive?
DulceDoes

Post by DulceDoes »

DareDaniel wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 6:29 pm
Just like you are posting to get attention now. Some of y''all need to take a deep breath and move on with your life.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Daviddoes wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 6:35 pm
Some of y''all need to take a deep breath and move on with your life.
This. If you guys can't chill we'll lock the thread and no-one will be allowed to die until it's reopened.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

PeacefulAnarchy wrote: ↑January 4th, 2021, 6:35 pm Whatever arguments there are don't apply to a thread where posts are about people and not their art, even if the reason we know them and post about them in the first place is their art. The whole point of this thread is that these artists are people and mortal, just like the rest of us and didn't just create art but lived lives and interacted with people.
I find this a weird argument.

Safe some random exception, none of us will ever know the "people" behind these artists. At best, the closest we come is through interviews, which are almost always unnatural and redacted interactions. From what I gather, these RIP posts are here to celebrate an artist's legacy and, in the case of artists who are still active, mourn the art they never made. Regardless of whether you like someone's work, that's always a loss for the medium.

As for Ki-duk, people who took a real interest in this director know what a troubled man he was. That wasn't a big secret, since he actually documented his own depression in Arirang. His later work became a lot darker and more violent, but his films have always been somewhat misanthropic. To frame that as misogynistic feels opportunistic, but if you just want to focus on violence directed at women, then yes, there was quite a bit of that in his films.

Oh, and Human, Space, Time and Human was a great film.
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

Knaldskalle wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 6:47 pm
Daviddoes wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 6:35 pm
Some of y''all need to take a deep breath and move on with your life.
This. If you guys can't chill we'll lock the thread and no-one will be allowed to die until it's reopened.
And just like that, the secret to immortality was discovered.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

DareDaniel wrote: ↑January 5th, 2021, 6:29 pm
What she said was tacky but so is this tbh. I think everybody should just spark up a joint and chill.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈ
DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel »

From what I gather, these RIP posts are here to celebrate an artist's legacy and, in the case of artists who are still active, mourn the art they never made. Regardless of whether you like someone's work, that's always a loss for the medium.
bingo. thank you
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Now I'm worried that Farrah Fawcett might have been buried alive. :(

https://www.seeing-stars.com/ImagePages ... hoto.shtml
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I'm with Chris and Arthur. This can only be solved with the right image.