Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Foxtrot, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Films shot near where you live

outdoorcats

Films shot near where you live

Post by outdoorcats »

This thread is inspired by my recent viewing of Concrete Cowboys, a coming-of-age drama starring Idris Elba based on the real-life Fletcher Street Riding Club (many of whom play themselves in the movie), a stable in the Strawberry Mansion neighborhood of North Philly. I've worked at several places in the area and recognized nearly every single location the film was shot at. One place I've been to a few times is across the street from the club and I got to pet the horses, who were very friendly and came up to greet me as soon as I approached the fence. At the time I saw the trailers for when the film was shooting, but sadly didn't get to see any actual filming - or Elba or any of the actors. The film even nails Philly slang and accents (very rare) - probably because so much of the cast are the real life riders playing themselves.

The film itself is just above-average, a generic coming-of-age script, but it's elevated by great performances, particularly from Elba, Jharrel Jerome, Lorraine Toussaint, Method Man, and young Caleb McLaughlin from Stranger Things, who proves he can carry his own story in the lead role. Either way, I was geeking out.

Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of screenshots I can pull off the internet to show off locations I recognize, but most of the film is shot in and around the riding field around 27th and Susequehanna, with the dome of Gibson Temple Church prominently featured in the background. And yes, you do see the cowboys riding through the neighborhood now and again.

Have any films been shot near where you live, and if so, which ones?

If you live in a major city, it doesn't count if there were just some generic downtown establishing shots. :P

A lie ain't a 'side of the story.' It's just a lie.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

The only one I can think of is These Final Hours. It features the ice rink in Malaga (a suburb or two over from where I lived most of my life) and shots of the freeway. Was pretty cool seeing those in a film.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

:whistling:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Minding the Gap, the Oscar-nominated documentary from a couple of years ago, comes closest. I reviewed it at the time. It's filmed in various locations in Rockford, IL, between 15-25 miles from where I'm sitting. I think both of the following shots are on State Street (US 20), the main East-West downtown street; about 3-4 miles east is a grocery store I go to frequently, and a Half-Price books I visit sometimes. About 1 mile north is my favorite restaurant in the city, a brewpub in a 160-year-old building. Actually now I'm quite positive of the second shot - the red-rimmed storefront in the center of the frame is (or was, in the summer of 2019, the last time I drove along there) an internet cafe.

If there are any features shot in Rockford, I don't know them; Groundhog Day supposedly shot the quarry sequence somewhere in the area, but I couldn't tell you where. HG Lewis' The Wizard of Gore was apparently partly shot there, but I haven't seen it (yet). Other than those, everything listed on the IMDb advanced search appears to a a super-low-budget indie that I'd probably watch only if I knew people involved in it.

Beloit, where I live, and Janesville, about the same distance from me as Rockford, have nothing AFAIK. The place where I lived the longest - Chicago's north shore, in Rogers Park or Evanston - of course had plenty of films made in the area. I drove by the McCallister home (Home Alone) in Winnetka with some frequency one summer on a job - this was a couple of years before the movie - and there's a breakfast place in a scene in Ordinary People that was a short distance from where I worked, a place I ate at a dozen times or more (would have been a lot more if it weren't so popular that you had to wait hours for breakfast on a weekend morning). Oh and the only film I recall ever coming close to the sets for was The Fugitive.
Here's to the fools who dream.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Lammetje wrote: April 6th, 2021, 4:21 pm :whistling:
You can forgive me for not seeing a thread that no one has posted in for 7 years! But I am finding the replies interesting, thanks.

@mightysparks - sometimes that's all it takes to make something you otherwise wouldn't be interested in more interesting.

@OldAle - Nice screenshots!

I find this stuff super interesting.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

outdoorcats wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:46 pm
You can forgive me for not seeing a thread that no one has posted in for 7 years! But I am finding the replies interesting, thanks.
Of course and you're welcome. :)

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff »

A scene from Winter Solstice (2004) was filmed at the Dairy Queen across the road from my development. The bright light at :23, diagonally to the left of the red sign, in the center of the shot, is my front door.

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Just how ... :satstunned:
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

WalterNeff wrote: April 6th, 2021, 11:09 pm A scene from Winter Solstice (2004) was filmed at the Dairy Queen across the road from my development. The bright light at :23, diagonally to the left of the red sign, in the center of the shot, is my front door.
Nice! Were you living there at the time, and if so, did you see them filming? It'd be cool to see Allison Janney.

WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff »

outdoorcats wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:10 am
WalterNeff wrote: April 6th, 2021, 11:09 pm A scene from Winter Solstice (2004) was filmed at the Dairy Queen across the road from my development. The bright light at :23, diagonally to the left of the red sign, in the center of the shot, is my front door.
Nice! Were you living there at the time, and if so, did you see them filming? It'd be cool to see Allison Janney.
At the time, my home office was on the first floor, with my desk facing the windows that look out that direction. Around 6 PM, I noticed some flashing police lights, and I figured it was an accident or something. I still had some work to do, so I closed the blinds so I wouldn't be distracted. Turns out it was traffic control for the shoot.

Around 11 PM, I went to take out the trash, and saw them striking the set (lights, reflectors, etc.) and went over to find out what I missed. That's when they told me the name of the movie, which I ultimately got on DVD. So, I missed my chance to see the two scenes they filmed there being shot, and missed meeting Allison Janney and Anthony LaPaglia. Coincidentally enough, the street I live on is called Allison. I wonder if she noticed.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

WalterNeff wrote: April 7th, 2021, 1:02 am
outdoorcats wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:10 am
At the time, my home office was on the first floor, with my desk facing the windows that look out that direction. Around 6 PM, I noticed some flashing police lights, and I figured it was an accident or something. I still had some work to do, so I closed the blinds so I wouldn't be distracted. Turns out it was traffic control for the shoot.

Around 11 PM, I went to take out the trash, and saw them striking the set (lights, reflectors, etc.) and went over to find out what I missed. That's when they told me the name of the movie, which I ultimately got on DVD. So, I missed my chance to see the two scenes they filmed there being shot, and missed meeting Allison Janney and Anthony LaPaglia. Coincidentally enough, the street I live on is called Allison. I wonder if she noticed.
You've just given us the info we need to form an elite thief squad and steal your noir collection! :ph43r:
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Bing147

Post by Bing147 »

OldAle1 wrote: April 6th, 2021, 4:46 pm Minding the Gap, the Oscar-nominated documentary from a couple of years ago, comes closest. I reviewed it at the time. It's filmed in various locations in Rockford, IL, between 15-25 miles from where I'm sitting. I think both of the following shots are on State Street (US 20), the main East-West downtown street; about 3-4 miles east is a grocery store I go to frequently, and a Half-Price books I visit sometimes. About 1 mile north is my favorite restaurant in the city, a brewpub in a 160-year-old building. Actually now I'm quite positive of the second shot - the red-rimmed storefront in the center of the frame is (or was, in the summer of 2019, the last time I drove along there) an internet cafe.

If there are any features shot in Rockford, I don't know them; Groundhog Day supposedly shot the quarry sequence somewhere in the area, but I couldn't tell you where. HG Lewis' The Wizard of Gore was apparently partly shot there, but I haven't seen it (yet). Other than those, everything listed on the IMDb advanced search appears to a a super-low-budget indie that I'd probably watch only if I knew people involved in it.

Beloit, where I live, and Janesville, about the same distance from me as Rockford, have nothing AFAIK. The place where I lived the longest - Chicago's north shore, in Rogers Park or Evanston - of course had plenty of films made in the area. I drove by the McCallister home (Home Alone) in Winnetka with some frequency one summer on a job - this was a couple of years before the movie - and there's a breakfast place in a scene in Ordinary People that was a short distance from where I worked, a place I ate at a dozen times or more (would have been a lot more if it weren't so popular that you had to wait hours for breakfast on a weekend morning). Oh and the only film I recall ever coming close to the sets for was The Fugitive.
Cool, you're not far from me. I'm only about 50 miles from Rockford, though in another direction. (Lake in the Hills) I've only actually been to Rockford 2 or 3 times though, rarely have a reason to. I go into Chicago a lot more frequently, though I've only gone more than 5 or 6 miles from my home like 3 times in over a year... yay COVID. Last time I was there was probably 2018 to see a show at the Coronado Performing Arts Center. Ate at a terrific bar called Octane RKFD right by it.

Still need to get to Minding the Gap. Its been on my list for a long time but just... haven't gotten to it.
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

Philly again, Society Hill/Wash West:

Pennsylvania Hospital played the antebellum mansion in Beloved. Some of National Treasure was filmed in the Old Pine Church graveyard. (I haven't seen it and don't know if other parts of that film were also filmed in the neighborhood.)

Also Gazela Primiero, the tall ship berthed at Penn's Landing, played the ship that brought the guillotine from Martinique in La Veuve de Saint-Pierre.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
WalterNeff
Donator

Post by WalterNeff »

kongs_speech wrote: April 7th, 2021, 1:09 am You've just given us the info we need to form an elite thief squad and steal your noir collection! :ph43r:
If I ever figure out port forwarding on my Plex server it's yours for the streaming.
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

3eyes wrote: April 7th, 2021, 1:52 am Philly again, Society Hill/Wash West:

Pennsylvania Hospital played the antebellum mansion in Beloved. Some of National Treasure was filmed in the Old Pine Church graveyard. (I haven't seen it and don't know if other parts of that film were also filmed in the neighborhood.)

Also Gazela Primiero, the tall ship berthed at Penn's Landing, played the ship that brought the guillotine from Martinique in La Veuve de Saint-Pierre.
Hello fellow Philadelphian!

National Treasure has a big climactic chase sequence set in various spots in downtown Philadelphia (including many historic sites). Like Rocky, it plays fast and loose with geography, though - I remember one scene where Nicholas Cage runs out of Reading Terminal Market, crosses the street, and on the other side he's suddenly 10 blocks away at Independence Mall/Washington Square.

All I could find on Google was this shot of Diane Kruger on Broad St in front of City Hall, though.

Brian DePalma's Blow Out is also a great downtown Philadelphia film, albeit from a seedier, less cleaned-up time. Lots of scenes on Market St. stretching from Penn's Landing to 30th St. Station, with key scenes filmed inside 30th street. Plus, the beautifully shot major scene in Wissahickon Park.

I've never seen The Widow of St. Pierre. I googled the Gazela and apparently it also appeared in Interview With the Vampire. It was built in 1901.

Last edited by outdoorcats on April 7th, 2021, 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

Films shot near me Barry Lyndon 1975 The Heroes of Telemark 1965 Overlord1975

https://www.movie-locations.com/movies/ ... Lyndon.php

Barry Lyndon has many locations, the Italian gardens listed above are near me
outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats »

Barry Lyndon and Overlord are two of my favorite films. That's a great article about Barry Lyndon because for each location it also lists other movies which were also filmed there.

It's like I'm traveling. :) Hope to really travel a lot one day so the more knowledge of the world, the better.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Lammetje wrote: April 6th, 2021, 10:25 pm
outdoorcats wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:46 pm
Of course and you're welcome. :)
:ph43r:
I'll make a thread listing existing threads like that.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, mah huge sci-fi list, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Armoreska wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:22 am :ph43r:
Nice! I should have kept looking after finding the older one. :sweat:

More memorable quotes
3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

Oh yeah, and when we lived in a suburb of Oslo in the early 70s, they built a Yukon village in a nearby field to use in The Call of the Wild (1973). Trouble was, Charlton Heston seemed to think that Norway had snow all year round, and he kept postponing and postponing until the snow had melted.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
peeptoad

Post by peeptoad »

Federal Hill 1994. If I had a better throwing arm I could probably hit Atwells Ave with a rock from where I live.