Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Films You Refuse to Watch

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

xianjiro wrote: March 31st, 2021, 9:01 am
Fergenaprido wrote: March 31st, 2021, 4:40 am
I did have an acquaintance once who refused to watch Closer because she dislikes adultery. That led to an interesting discussion.
you know you are pretty much begging someone - not me - to ask you tell us all about the interesting discussion. :lol:
It pretty much went with a bunch of us who had seen it telling her that the film doesn't condone adultery, just depicts it (if anything, I'd personally argue the film comes out against adultery). She said that didn't matter. We then used analogies about films on the subject of various crimes and violence, which she seemed to have no problem watching, even if she disagreed with them. We all collectively shrugged and scratched our heads and dropped the subject, since it was clear she was wilfully ignorant of her inconsistency. She and her boyfriend eventually broke up and she drifted out of the friend circle (at it's core was a group of Fine Art students at my university, and she, like me, was a friend of one who got accepted into the larger group). She was a nice and intelligent girl, but on this and some other topics she was definitely at odds with the rest of us.
🧚‍♂️🦫
monclivie

Post by monclivie »

Only Fifty Shades of Grey and Empire (1964) or anything else that's purely experimental and longer than two hours. I can't understand what people get from watching La région centrale or things like that, other than to tell the story "you can't imagine what a wtf thing i watched yesterday".
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Fergenaprido wrote: March 31st, 2021, 8:20 pm
xianjiro wrote: March 31st, 2021, 9:01 am
Fergenaprido wrote: March 31st, 2021, 4:40 am
I did have an acquaintance once who refused to watch Closer because she dislikes adultery. That led to an interesting discussion.
you know you are pretty much begging someone - not me - to ask you tell us all about the interesting discussion. :lol:
It pretty much went with a bunch of us who had seen it telling her that the film doesn't condone adultery, just depicts it (if anything, I'd personally argue the film comes out against adultery). She said that didn't matter. We then used analogies about films on the subject of various crimes and violence, which she seemed to have no problem watching, even if she disagreed with them. We all collectively shrugged and scratched our heads and dropped the subject, since it was clear she was wilfully ignorant of her inconsistency. She and her boyfriend eventually broke up and she drifted out of the friend circle (at it's core was a group of Fine Art students at my university, and she, like me, was a friend of one who got accepted into the larger group). She was a nice and intelligent girl, but on this and some other topics she was definitely at odds with the rest of us.
Yes, it's interesting that someone would say they don't want to watch a film because it condones something. IDK, someone mentioned not wanting to watch a movie that had violent themes related to children. I think there's a big difference between condoning and not wanting to see such things depicted or not finding them entertaining. I don't think any of the movies people have talked about are pro whatever is being depicted. But it's not like this isn't a recurring response. Movies, music, games - they cause people to be bad. If we only watch Disney films...
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

monclivie wrote: March 31st, 2021, 8:45 pm Only Fifty Shades of Grey and Empire (1964) or anything else that's purely experimental and longer than two hours. I can't understand what people get from watching La région centrale or things like that, other than to tell the story "you can't imagine what a wtf thing i watched yesterday".
I saw La région centrale in the cinema actually; probably we went because it was a Rosenbaum favorite and we were acolytes. Went with 2 friends and my brother who was visiting; my brother skipped out after about 10 minutes and spent the next 3 hours drinking and trying to hook up with college girls who wouldn't give him a second glance, and ALL of the rest of the audience (maybe 25 people) checked out before the end as well, leaving just my two friends and I - one of them claimed to love it, the other claimed that the first (and JR) must have been smoking something, and I just thought, eh, interesting but... I don't need to ever see it again. It was probably one of the very first feature-length experimental works I ever saw; I've got more tolerance for such now, but still probably would never watch 3 hours of something similar anymore. All of the other Snow films I've seen have been more interesting and "watchable".
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

xianjiro wrote: March 31st, 2021, 8:49 pm If we only watch Disney films...
We wouldn't have turned out right either. Haven't you seen the content warnings on those films? Pure filth! tehe
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

monclivie wrote: March 31st, 2021, 8:45 pmI can't understand what people get from watching La région centrale or things like that, other than to tell the story "you can't imagine what a wtf thing i watched yesterday".
Lol, it's a hell of an experience tho. Best 4/20 ever!
sebby

Post by sebby »

I don't watch super violent stuff and anything with animal abuse/killing. I do my best to research that shit but sometimes it sneaks up on you which is always unpleasant.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

Not sure there's anything I'd absolutely refuse to watch, I try to keep as open a mind as possible when approaching art, but there's plenty of stuff I have no interest in. Most of the CGI Disney crap being pumped out these days, exploitation stuff that just looks stupid/pointlessly gross, most Oscar bait, and so on.