Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

TSPDT Poll: 25 Favourite Films

Angel Glez

TSPDT Poll: 25 Favourite Films

Post by Angel Glez »

https://www.theyshootpictures.com/2021poll.htm

Please make sure you cast your vote. And spread the word!
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Unexpected initiative. I wonder how many different communities (and individual followers) will join in, what the final voter tally will be - whether there will be any upsets - and of course to what extent the results will be calculated towards TSPDT's top 1000 next year (if at all).
Obgeoff

Post by Obgeoff »

This has been posted on another site I (and a lot of people here) frequent with the impression given that it is part of Doubling the Canon.

I would also be interested in what the purpose of the poll is. The value for me from TSPDT is as an independent compiler and aggregator of opinions. I appreciate the guides and the subjective recommendations but it is the objectiveness of the ranking process and algorithm (and its realisation that the process has flaws and biases) that sets TSPDT apart. That gets muddied if it is seen as influencing the lists from its own content.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Obgeoff wrote: February 26th, 2021, 2:27 pm This has been posted on another site I (and a lot of people here) frequent with the impression given that it is part of Doubling the Canon.

I would also be interested in what the purpose of the poll is. The value for me from TSPDT is as an independent compiler and aggregator of opinions. I appreciate the guides and the subjective recommendations but it is the objectiveness of the ranking process and algorithm (and its realisation that the process has flaws and biases) that sets TSPDT apart. That gets muddied if it is seen as influencing the lists from its own content.
Yeah, this. If this is just meant as an aside to the main poll/list - a "reader's poll" so to speak, that's fine, but I don't know that I'd want this kind of thing incorporated into any of the main lists.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Part of DtC? Now that would be odd!

It certainly looks like a Readers Poll and nothing more, though I would be very surprised if it was not added to the massive number of other lists used to create the main list. I would not be against it either, though it should not be given overly high importance.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

OldAle1 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 2:55 pm
Obgeoff wrote: February 26th, 2021, 2:27 pm This has been posted on another site I (and a lot of people here) frequent with the impression given that it is part of Doubling the Canon.

Yeah, this. If this is just meant as an aside to the main poll/list - a "reader's poll" so to speak, that's fine, but I don't know that I'd want this kind of thing incorporated into any of the main lists.
+1

If you haven't submitted your nominations yet, let me take the opportunity to remind you there are exactly 25 Bond films as of now.
:whistling:
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Torgo wrote: February 26th, 2021, 3:20 pm

+1

If you haven't submitted your nominations yet, let me take the opportunity to remind you there are exactly 25 Bond films as of now.
:whistling:
Good point, but I don't see anywhere in the link that it's supposed to be a list of my 25 picks for "most average blockbusters".
Teproc

Post by Teproc »

The Bond films have many sins, but I don't know if "average" is one of them.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Teproc wrote: February 26th, 2021, 5:30 pm The Bond films have many sins, but I don't know if "average" is one of them.
It probably wasn't the best choice of phrasing on my part but it was early and I wasn't that awake. And all I was looking for was a jokey insult (towards Bond, not Torgo). I like the Bond films as a whole but none of them would have a prayer of even making my top 2000 let alone 25.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

My first thought was that I had to pick my 25 favorites FROM the TSPDT list ... but that might just be me :)
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Mh Onder, that's not how I read it. "Please select your 25 favourite films of all-time." Not a single rule given.
Even though I knew it's coming from TSPDT themselves, I felt it to be a general poll. (For whatever purpose)
OldAle1 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 5:33 pm And all I was looking for was a jokey insult (towards Bond, not Torgo).
Hehe, no problem. Of course I was joking, too :)
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I already did send my ballot, but i'm going to edit before the deadline...

Good initiative!
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

I don't see Scorsese submitting his ballot, but if he did, his list would certainly be incorporated. :lol:
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Wouldn't he or other major directors have lists that are already part of the overall makeup of the thing though?
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

OldAle1 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 7:30 pm Wouldn't he or other major directors have lists that are already part of the overall makeup of the thing though?
https://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf100 ... ources.htm

Keep in mind that some lists (e.g. Total Film's 18 Weirdest Christmas Movies) have no influence on the ranking.
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

I have Goldfinger in my top 25
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Torgo wrote: February 26th, 2021, 5:54 pm Mh Onder, that's not how I read it. "Please select your 25 favourite films of all-time." Not a single rule given.
Even though I knew it's coming from TSPDT themselves, I felt it to be a general poll. (For whatever purpose)
Yea, maybe it was in combination with the topic title here. I ended up submitting my personal list in the end, so no worries :)
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I wonder how Bill is going to tally all those votes, since he's not using unique names/codes for the movies. One person would submit a vote with the English title, another with the original title, one with accents on letters, the other without. It's a lot of work sorting that out if you don't simply use IMDb tt-numbers. :shrug:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

joachimt wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:06 pm I wonder how Bill is going to tally all those votes, since he's not using unique names/codes for the movies. One person would submit a vote with the English title, another with the original title, one with accents on letters, the other without. It's a lot of work sorting that out if you don't simply use IMDb tt-numbers. :shrug:
Yes, I was unsure about that too...
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

joachimt wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:06 pm I wonder how Bill is going to tally all those votes, since he's not using unique names/codes for the movies. One person would submit a vote with the English title, another with the original title, one with accents on letters, the other without. It's a lot of work sorting that out if you don't simply use IMDb tt-numbers. :shrug:
I'm submitting all of mine in Esperanto.
jdidaco

Post by jdidaco »

Angel Glez wrote: February 26th, 2021, 7:34 pm
OldAle1 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 7:30 pm Wouldn't he or other major directors have lists that are already part of the overall makeup of the thing though?
Oh Lord, I'm there. Twice??!!!?? (D:) Everybody's there! :lol:

Angel!!!!! :cheers:
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

I'm not there. Must be an oversight.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

I'm not there, though I did participate in One Line Review's 50 greatest film - of which they sourced 73/187 individual lists.
zhangalan

Post by zhangalan »

I wonder if any critics/filmmakers know the existence of this poll, and if yes, maybe Bill will include those ballots, which is a good news.
I don't think ballots from non-film professionals will be included though.

And it's difficult to select simply 25 films. My first thought is that how many of them would be mainstream choices, but if this is the case, it is too predictable and boring.
zhangalan

Post by zhangalan »

Just send a message to Hong Kong Film Critics' Society's facebook account and notify them about the poll.
I doubt if they will respond to a stranger like me though. :whistling:
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

jdidaco wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:28 pm

Angel!!!!! :cheers:
I guess our votes have little weight (if any), but we are respected reference sources, aren't we? :lol:
Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez »

zhangalan wrote: February 27th, 2021, 2:41 am Just send a message to Hong Kong Film Critics' Society's facebook account and notify them about the poll.
I doubt if they will respond to a stranger like me though. :whistling:
Nice try. :thumbsup:
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

jdidaco wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:28 pm
I'm there four times. :whistling:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

Why can we vote for as many as 25 films? 7 is enough.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Lammetje wrote: February 27th, 2021, 2:32 pm Why can we vote for as many as 25 films? 7 is enough.
In a few decades, there'll be enough movies in that franchise to warrant a top 25.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Lammetje wrote: February 27th, 2021, 2:32 pm Why can we vote for as many as 25 films? 7 is enough.
Word!

I tried to submit seven, but they forced me to submit 25, so I filled the rest of the list with the titles I want to see and the directors I want for the series:

Police Academy 8 (Wong Kar Wai)
Police Academy 9 (Uwe Boll)
Police Academy 10 (Ed Wood clone)
Police Academy: This Time with Less Brutality (John Woo)
Police Academy: Bad Lieutenant Port of Call Tashkent (Werner Herzog)
Police Academy 13 (Steven Spielberg or his Mexican non-union equivalent)
Police Academy: For Real, You've Got to Stop Beating People When They Criticize You (Ernst Lubitsch clone)
Police Academy: Very Expensive for a Movie That Feels Like a Complete Retread (JJ Abrams)
Police Academy: Quick Paycheck to Help with My Tax Problems (Francis Ford Coppola)
Police Academy: You Call That Tax Problems? (Nic Cage)
Police Academy 18 (Alan Smithee)
Police Academy: A Young Girl's Strange, Erotic Journey from Milan to Minsk (Larry David)
Police Academy: This Time, Everything Is Dark and Gritty (Zack Snyder)
Police Academy: This Time, You Can't Understand a Single Word Anyone Says (Christopher Nolan)
Police Academy: We're Gonna Get Real Fucking Weird (Dennis Hopper clone)
Police Academy: If Woody Allen Had Made It (Noah Baumbach)
Police Academy: Everything Is Twee (Wes Anderson)
Police Academy 25 (Anthology movie featuring 50 two-minute shorts, each by a different director)
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

blocho wrote: February 27th, 2021, 11:17 pm
Word!

I tried to submit seven, but they forced me to submit 25, so I filled the rest of the list with the titles I want to see and the directors I want for the series:

Police Academy 8 (Wong Kar Wai)
Police Academy 9 (Uwe Boll)
Police Academy 10 (Ed Wood clone)
Police Academy: This Time with Less Brutality (John Woo)
Police Academy: Bad Lieutenant Port of Call Tashkent (Werner Herzog)
Police Academy 13 (Steven Spielberg or his Mexican non-union equivalent)
Police Academy: For Real, You've Got to Stop Beating People When They Criticize You (Ernst Lubitsch clone)
Police Academy: Very Expensive for a Movie That Feels Like a Complete Retread (JJ Abrams)
Police Academy: Quick Paycheck to Help with My Tax Problems (Francis Ford Coppola)
Police Academy: You Call That Tax Problems? (Nic Cage)
Police Academy 18 (Alan Smithee)
Police Academy: A Young Girl's Strange, Erotic Journey from Milan to Minsk (Larry David)
Police Academy: This Time, Everything Is Dark and Gritty (Zack Snyder)
Police Academy: This Time, You Can't Understand a Single Word Anyone Says (Christopher Nolan)
Police Academy: We're Gonna Get Real Fucking Weird (Dennis Hopper clone)
Police Academy: If Woody Allen Had Made It (Noah Baumbach)
Police Academy: Everything Is Twee (Wes Anderson)
Police Academy 25 (Anthology movie featuring 50 two-minute shorts, each by a different director)
:lol: It's an easy target but I think still a post-of-the-month worthy list.

And I've never seen any of the series, so shoot me.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

OldAle1 wrote: February 27th, 2021, 11:24 pm And I've never seen any of the series, so shoot me.
Your loss. Homer explained it best. When it comes to ethical instruction, you'll never see better movies.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

My college years really were wasted. I could have been seeing Police Academy movies instead of drinking and having sex. Oh wait, I wasn't doing those things either. What the fuck WAS I doing? Sure wasn't studying.
TiRex

Post by TiRex »

Done!
Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin »

Done! Looking forward to see the results & how radically they differ from TSPDT.
Spoiler
2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick)
As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty (Mekas)
Au hasard Balthazar (Bresson)
Citizen Kane (Welles)
Dog Star Man (Brakhage)
Early Summer (Ozu)
India Song (Duras)
In Vanda's Room (Costa)
Jeanne Dielman (Akerman)
Last Year at Marienbad (Resnais)
Leviathan (Paravel & Castaing-Taylor)
Man With a Movie Camera (Vertov)
Nostos: The Return (Piavoli)
Playtime (Tati)
Rashōmon (Kurosawa)
Sátántangó (Tarr)
Shoah (Lanzmann)
The Central Region (Snow)
The Flicker (Conrad)
The Hart of London (Chambers)
The Man Who Sleeps (Queysanne)
The Mirror (Tarkovsky)
Ugetsu (Mizoguchi)
Woman in the Dunes (Teshigahara)
Zorn's Lemma (Frampton)
Top 100 | Top 250

Member of the Experimental Mafia | What's My Line? #1 Fan

cinewest

Post by cinewest »

This is a very difficult exercise. I have been able to get down to a top 40 that also touches on my favorite filmmakers, but the last 15 cuts are going to be brutal.