Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th), 1933 (May 12th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

ICMF-FF5: Programmer's Thread

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

beavis wrote: March 31st, 2021, 9:09 am
xianjiro wrote: March 31st, 2021, 8:57 am Unless there's a reason otherwise, could we add a column to the spreadsheet for nominator? It would be easier to track that way and I'm assuming there's a function to count nominations (like in Excel, but since I don't use Docs for anything else, I can't say for certain until I try it).
that sounds like an even better idea to keep track of that!
unless someone disagrees, I'll be happy to add it and go through the thread to populate the fields. I'll also try and add an auto-calculate function at the very bottom once I see what the comparable function is in Docs. It might take a couple days for me to get to it, but that gives everyone a chance to object.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

This month I only saw A Whisker Away and Colectiv from the nominees. The former, I'm afraid to say, felt soulless, like it was sleepwalking through familiar tropes and themes. Reasonably well done, perfectly pleasant, but a mediocre effort (0). Colectiv has gotten a lot of praise, and its inside access is great, but it seems almost a little naive, or if anything one-note in its presentation of the reformer, while the newsrooms felt quite staged with a clear protagonist. While well done, effective and a solid narrative, it simply feels a little too thin, both in content and presentation (1).
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

xianjiro wrote: March 31st, 2021, 9:14 am
beavis wrote: March 31st, 2021, 9:09 am
xianjiro wrote: March 31st, 2021, 8:57 am Unless there's a reason otherwise, could we add a column to the spreadsheet for nominator? It would be easier to track that way and I'm assuming there's a function to count nominations (like in Excel, but since I don't use Docs for anything else, I can't say for certain until I try it).
that sounds like an even better idea to keep track of that!
unless someone disagrees, I'll be happy to add it and go through the thread to populate the fields. I'll also try and add an auto-calculate function at the very bottom once I see what the comparable function is in Docs. It might take a couple days for me to get to it, but that gives everyone a chance to object.
No negatives, only positives. Do it.
beavis

Post by beavis »

And I'm not the expert, but I expect our spreadsheet to have the exact same functionality as a regular Excel sheet...
beavis

Post by beavis »

St. Gloede wrote: March 31st, 2021, 9:16 am This month I only saw A Whisker Away and Colectiv from the nominees. The former, I'm afraid to say, felt soulless, like it was sleepwalking through familiar tropes and themes. Reasonably well done, perfectly pleasant, but a mediocre effort (0). Colectiv has gotten a lot of praise, and its inside access is great, but it seems almost a little naive, or if anything one-note in its presentation of the reformer, while the newsrooms felt quite staged with a clear protagonist. While well done, effective and a solid narrative, it simply feels a little too thin, both in content and presentation (1).
I understand what you're getting at with Colectiv.... there is a bit of 'unbelievability' to it, in a certain way, but this was overrided for me by the strength of "the narrative".
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

OK so here is my nomination update:
  1. Impetigore Perempuan Tanah Jahanam (2019)
  2. My Dad Is a Heel Wrestler Papa wa warumono chanpion (2018)
  3. Aniara (2018)
  4. Rejected Otvergnutye (2018)
  5. The Delegation Delegacioni (2018)
  6. Mutant Blast (2018)
  7. A Whisker Away Nakitai watashi wa neko wo kaburu (2020)
  8. Fragtime (2019)
  9. The Soul Collector (2019)
  10. Hakubo (2019)
  11. The Bridge Master's Daughter (2018)
  12. Stop Filming Us (2020)
  13. Sofia (2018)
  14. White Fang Croc-Blanc (2018)
  15. Sibel (2018)
  16. The Woman Who Keeps a Murderer Satsujinki o kau onna(2019)
  17. Carmen & Lola (2018)
  18. Primal: Tales of Savagery (2019)
  19. Tremors Temblores (2019)
  20. Los silencios (2018)
  21. This Magnificent Cake! Ce magnifique gâteau! (2018)
  22. S He (2018)
  23. Judy & Punch (2019)
  24. Our Blood Is Wine (2018)
  25. The Obituary of Tunde Johnson (2019)
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Just wondering, have we got a timeline when we would like all nominations in. I know we have till August to watch them but is there a preferred date to have them in to get them watched?
I have slowed down watching potential nominations and have moved elsewhere (currently DtC but also I was missing watching some classics since I was just focusing on recent cinema) and I was wondering what to do with my 5 nomination spots I have left. I could easily fill them now as I have movies I would happily give a try or I could hold them up my sleeve as I'm not completely forgetting my duties here and have some potentials still lined up. It really comes down to when we would prefer everything in.
beavis

Post by beavis »

The way it "always" went was, we started out with a bunch of nominations from all programmers
Then came a long period of watching (and a lot of silence often)
And when it came towards the end, people started to make suggestions of other titles to fill in gaps.

When I wanted to lower the bar for participation I requested a certain minimum amount of watches and a maximum of nominations
But in the end it is about getting a good roster together!

With the current group of programmers the participation and enthusiasm is exceptionally high. I think most of us have already nominated a lot, watched a lot of films nominated by others ánd watched a lot of potential films that nobody had even nominated yet. This is great, and also encouraged me to watch even more! It would be nice if we can keep it up somewhat to keep this thread from going deadish, but you by no means have to (or even feel you have to) keep on watching more and max out your total nominations, please keep watching what you want to watch! :)

If towards the end there are still gaps to be filled, we are going to again suggest new films to watch for that, regardless of who has nomination-slots left, the end goal is more important than rules we've set for ourselves, and it is not like I have to be strickt on the rules, with the kind of participation I have seen so far.

If you think you've got some good films to nominate however, I think it is better to do that sooner than later, because people want to also have their own plans and it feels like less pressure when you've got months to watch a film instead of weeks/days.
Last edited by beavis on April 2nd, 2021, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
beavis

Post by beavis »

for me personally, I *really* like to nominate some Us indies :) but I haven't come round to watching more, and I think my priorities for the coming two months are elsewhere too... so I kinda have the same problem there.... we'll see how things go ;)
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

Here are my March Stats:

Potential Nominations watched in March: 25
Best Potential Nominations watched: Sanctorum, The Painted Bird, Villains, Un Ange, Kler, Valley of Souls, The Dark and the Wicked
Nominations watched in March: 9
Best nomination watched: This is Not Berlin (2)
Total festival nominations watched: 46
Spotlight on a nomination that has yet to be watched by another programmer: Butchers - One for all the genre fans, this is a grim and disturbing homage to backwoods slashers like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Wrong Turn.

One of my favourite nominated films, Fried Barry, has now been confirmed to be released on Shudder in May! Very excited to hear people's thoughts on this once it is available.

My focus will be primarily on the DTC this month but I have another batch of nominations coming up in the next post along with my full list of nominated films so far.
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

My next batch of nominations:

Lifechanger (2018, Canada, 2062 votes) A macabre Canadian body horror currently streaming on Amazon prime that follows the exploits of a shapeshifting serial killer. This fascinating and gruesome concept is used by the filmmakers as a stepping stone to explore the notion of obsession in a truly chilling manner.

Sanctorum (2019, Mexico, 158 votes) My favourite film from WOW festival is a sublime Mexican arthouse picture that is pure cinematic poetry from start to finish. The visuals are nothing short of astonishing and the backdrop of a rural village caught up in a feud between the cartel and military provides powerful social commentary. I hope this gets a release soon as this feels like the perfect fit for ICMFF. If not, I will certainly be renominating it next year should I be involved once again, this is an absolute must see.

The Dead Center (2018, USA, 1956 votes) A creepy horror starring Shane Carruth (Primer) as a hospital psychiatrist handling an unsettling case of an amnesiac that believes their near death experience has led to them bringing something back with them from the other side.

So Long, My Son (Di Jiu Tian Chang) (2019, China, 3234 votes) A gripping Chinese drama that follows the lives of two married couples through the nation's social and economical changse from the 1980s to present day. It's so engrossing that the three hours fly by and is currently streaming on MUBI.

Violence Voyager (2018, Japan, 229 votes) I was unsure about nominating this bizarre animation but it has lingered on my mind ever since watching it. This labour of love takes the viewer on a twisted and depraved nightmare with a unique style of animation that is unlike anything I have ever seen before. Whether I loved it or not is still up for debate but it was certainly a wild and unforgettable ride!

A Ghost Waits (2020, USA, 251 votes) A heartfelt and innovative low budget indie about a repair man who encounters a spirit in an abandoned house he is working on. It's smart, funny and surprisingly touching - a real hidden gem delivered with a lot of passion from first time director Adam Stovall.

That brings my total nominations to 20 so far, here they are:

Brothers' Nest
Come True
Monstrous
Bait
Butchers
Why Don't You Just Die?
Werewolf
Jesus Shows You The Way to the Highway
Fried Barry
Rent-A-Pal
Dead Dicks
4x4
Leap of Faith
Anything for Jackson
Lifechanger
Sanctorum
The Dead Center
So Long My Son
Violence Voyager
A Ghost Waits
beavis

Post by beavis »

Another interesting batch!
And I haven't seen any yet, nice. Also cool to include a US indie, I'll be sure to check it out. And the Mexican one, since I want to focus more on Mexico this year anyway, is also one I'm putting on my list for now, but they all sound cool.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I watched Bisbee '17 last night - give it a 2 and note that Flaiky had previously rated it 3. Saw no prior discussion.

It's an interesting topic and interesting execution, but it seemed like they could have said what little they did in half the time they took. It's also a touch preachy, but I somewhat struggle with that part since overall they play fast and loose with the documentary ethos. Athlete A, a prior nom of mine, is very much a straight-forward docu, but Bisbee is something else. They tell the important story of a company town that chose to use extrajudicial means to deport union activists and workers. This all took place in the copper boomtown of Bisbee, Arizona in 1917. (I'll add I've been to Bisbee and thought is a really cool place.) Like most people, this is the first I've heard of the Bisbee Deportation.

They rely less on talking heads to tell the story and rather half-heartedly use re-enactments to "show" what happened. I say half-heartedly since, for example, they get their characters into costume, but they still wear their very 21st Century spectacles and walk past those modern conveniences - cars. So it becomes clear that they are trying very hard to get us to draw parallels between 1917 and 2017 - deportations. Get it? Ugh. They even have one character on screen saying the obvious things about deporting aliens.

But one of things that's actually endearing is their super self-aware approach to the whole thing. The do share some historical information, but more often they rely on the descendants talking about what they've been told and their actors talking about how they feel about their roles. It's an interesting approach.

For the docu slate I'd love to see different formats of documentaries presented. On one hand that's Bisbee in spades, but I'm hoping we can find something better. I'm going to continue to hunt down documentaries while watching other nominees over the next couple months.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

xianjiro wrote: March 31st, 2021, 8:36 am Has anyone else seen The Blonde One/Un Rubio (tt9789686)? It's from 2019. Not sure how I ended up getting it - might have been a trailer when I watched something else? It's a rather different "gay" story from Argentina. I would rate it a strong 2 if I were to nominate it, but I'm interested if anyone else thinks it might be right for the festival.
You checked it out from the library because of me. :) I'm nominating it.
xianjiro wrote: March 7th, 2021, 5:59 am
Fergenaprido wrote: March 7th, 2021, 1:10 am
Speaking of gay Argentinian films, what are your thoughts on Marco Berger? I just realized that somehow I overlooked nominating The Blond One (Un rubio) for the festival, so I'll be doing that. I also plan to see his Young Hunter (El cazador) and Lucas Santa Ana's (Yo, adolescente) (he wrote Young Hunter) this year.
The names mentioned don't ring any bells, but I've put Un rubio on hold and added Yo, adolescente to my Netflix watchlist. Don't have access to El cazador (yet).
🧚‍♂️🦫
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

All right, here's my full summary of the films I've nominated and seen thus far.

My nominations
Holdovers
1. Bruce Lee and the Outlaw (2018 UK)
2. M (2018 France)
3. My Best Friend (Mi mejor amigo) (2018 Argentina)
4. What a Country! (Koja je ovo drzava!) (2018 Croatia)
5. Young Juliette (Jeune Juliette) (2019 Canada)
6. I Think We're Alone Now (2018 USA)
7. Just Friends (Gewoon Vrienden) (2018 Netherlands)
8. Mario (2018 Switzerland)
9. nîpawistamâsowin: We Will Stand Up (2019 Canada)
10. Talking About Trees (2019 Sudan)
11. The Awakening of the Ants (El despertar de las hormigas) (2019 Costa Rica)
12. The Heiresses (Las herederas) (2018 Paraguay)
13. The Invisibles (Les invisibles) (2018 France)
14. The Last Serb in Croatia (Posljednji Srbin u Hrvatskoj) (2019 Croatia)
15. The Shiny Shrimps (Les crevettes pailletées) (2019 France)
16. Yara (2018 Lebanon)

Other nominations I've seen
A. Beanpole (Dylda) (2019 Russia) (St. Gloede)
B. The Swallows of Kabul (Les hirondelles de Kaboul) (2019 France) (St. Gloede)
C. The Image Book (Le Livre d'image) (2018 Switzerland) (St. Gloede)
D. This Magnificent Cake! (Ce magnifique gâteau!) (2018 Belgium) (zzzorf)
C. End of the century (Fin de siglo) (2019 Argentina) (kingink)

And here are the new nominations that I'm adding to the spreadsheet. All of them are getting a score of 3 from me.

17. The Blond One (Un rubio) (2019 Argentina) - Romantic drama about two roommates who may or may not have a thing for each other. Both could probably be described as bisexual, which is different from most other gay romances. Quiet and sensitive, this is one of Berger's best films (and I enjoy most of his filmography)

18. Matthias and Maxime (Matthias et Maxime) (2019 Canada) - Dolan's latest, and I f*cking loved it. More character study than romantic drama, it drew me in and captivated me for the full two hours. Small cameo from Harris Dickinson in a role that you could conceivable consider an evolution of his role in last festival's Beach Rats.

19. Disclosure: Trans Lives on Screen (2020 USA) - Kind of like a trans version of The Celluloid Closet, but I found this film better constructed. I'm shocked it has so few votes on imdb given that's it's readily available on Netflix. Trans Lives Matter, and they're just as fascinating as Cis Lives.

20. Dating Amber (2020 Ireland) - Cute dramedy about a teenage gay and lesbian "dating" each other to cover for their gayness and get through high school. The film focuses more on the boy, but I liked the girs' character arc better. Still, it was delightfully fantastic.

21. Divine Love (Divino Amor) (2019 Brazil) - Futuristic drama about a woman who claims an immaculate conception. Tackles government tracking, organized religion, fertility, parenthood, and a whole bunch of other issues, and it really really resonated with me. Aside from Latin America, I'm not sure if this qualifies for any other category (maybe Arthouse, and maybe Just Before Dawn, but that seems like a stretch).

I'm getting confused by all the "considering" films, and I can't keep track of them. There are a few I think I've seen, but it's too much of hassle trying to go back through all the posts in this thread to get it all straight. From now on I'm going to keep a spoiler at the bottom of every post I make in this thread that will summarize all my nominations, watches, and future considerations.

Films I'm considering:
Sorry Angel (Plaire, aimer et courir vite) (2018 France) - Solid gay drama; Xianjiro's planning to nominate it. - 3
Parwareshghah (The Orphanage) (2019 Afghanistan) - I think this might have been brought up in last year's discussion. - 2
Cassandro, the Exotico! (2018 France) - French doc about a gay Mexican wrestler. Oddly fascinating - 3
Khrustal (Crystal Swan) (2018 Belarus) - Solid Belarussian dramedy. -3
Indianara (2019 Brazil) - Doc about a pioneering trans activist in Brazil. - 2
Anbessa (Lion) (2019 USA) - American doc about an Ethiopian boy. - 2
The Death & Life of John F. Donovan (2018 Canada) - Dolan's worst, but I still like it a lot. I'd prefer to have Matthias & Maxime if we're going to only have one of his films though. - 2
We the Animals (2018 USA) - Just watched this last week, so still too fresh in my mind. I liked it, though it's probably different from what most people expect. - 3
Hayom Sheachrey Lechti (The Day After I'm Gone) (2019 Israel) - Drama about a father and his daughter trying to reconnect after she attempts suicide. - 2
My Festival Contributions
My nominations
Holdovers from 2020
1. Bruce Lee and the Outlaw (2018 UK) - 3
2. M (2018 France) - 3
3. My Best Friend (Mi mejor amigo) (2018 Argentina) - 3
4. What a Country! (Koja je ovo drzava!) (2018 Croatia) - 3
5. Young Juliette (Jeune Juliette) (2019 Canada) - 3
6. I Think We're Alone Now (2018 USA) - 3
7. Just Friends (Gewoon Vrienden) (2018 Netherlands) - 2
8. Mario (2018 Switzerland) - 3
9. nîpawistamâsowin: We Will Stand Up (2019 Canada) - 2
10. Talking About Trees (2019 Sudan) - 2
11. The Awakening of the Ants (El despertar de las hormigas) (2019 Costa Rica) - 2
12. The Heiresses (Las herederas) (2018 Paraguay) - 2
13. The Invisibles (Les invisibles) (2018 France) - 3
14. The Last Serb in Croatia (Posljednji Srbin u Hrvatskoj) (2019 Croatia) - 2
15. The Shiny Shrimps (Les crevettes pailletées) (2019 France) - 3
16. Yara (2018 Lebanon) - 2
New for 2021
17. The Blond One (Un rubio) (2019 Argentina) - 3
18. Matthias and Maxime (Matthias et Maxime) (2019 Canada) - 3
19. Disclosure: Trans Lives on Screen (2020 USA) - 3
20. Dating Amber (2020 Ireland) - 3
21. Divine Love (Divino Amor) (2019 Brazil) - 3

Other nominations I've seen
A. Beanpole (Dylda) (2019 Russia) (St. Gloede) - 1
B. The Swallows of Kabul (Les hirondelles de Kaboul) (2019 France) (St. Gloede) - 0
C. The Image Book (Le Livre d'image) (2018 Switzerland) (St. Gloede) - 0
D. This Magnificent Cake! (Ce magnifique gâteau!) (2018 Belgium) (zzzorf) - 0
C. End of the century (Fin de siglo) (2019 Argentina) (kingink) - 3

Films not yet nominated
Sorry Angel (Plaire, aimer et courir vite) (2018 France) - 3
Parwareshghah (The Orphanage) (2019 Afghanistan) - 2
Cassandro, the Exotico! (2018 France) - 3
Khrustal (Crystal Swan) (2018 Belarus) - 3
Indianara (2019 Brazil) - 2
Anbessa (Lion) (2019 USA) - 2
The Death & Life of John F. Donovan (2018 Canada) - 2
We the Animals (2018 USA) - 3
Hayom Sheachrey Lechti (The Day After I'm Gone) (2019 Israel) - 2
🧚‍♂️🦫
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I'm nominating Sorry Angel/Plaire, aimer et courir vite (2018)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7534054/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/pla ... urir+vite/

By director Christophe Honoré, it was in competition at Cannes and has garnered some awards on the festival circuit. It's easily the most intelligent queer film I've seen in ages. And while it will certainly speak to gay men, I think it's aimed squarely at a mixed audience. The characters are complex, fully realized, and don't necessarily fit any stereotypes we often find in movies with queer characters. Production is top-notch with great acting.

I won't say it's perfect - there is a stylistic choice made in editing that makes fairly big jumps between scenes, however I've noticed this in a number of recent films and thus think it's a "thing". But the plot isn't nearly as important as looking at the characters, their motivations, and their actions. Maybe by not giving us everything, Honoré wants us to piece together the bits and thereby reveal something about our own thoughts and emotions.

Basically, and I hate spoilery plot summaries in reviews so forgive me, it's the story of the two main characters meeting but we are also introduced to some other people in each of their lives. The romantic leads, if we can think of them as such since I don't consider this a romance, are both at different parts of the bi spectrum. This not only complicates things, it really opens up the possibility of discussions of how bisexuality fits into queer culture and society at large.

I know a couple other programmers have seen it, so hopefully they will add their thoughts. While this is an obvious choice for the LGBTQ slate, it would make a great candidate for European as well. In some ways including it somewhere other than LGBTQ might serve the film better by opening it up rather than just pigeon-holing it as LGBTQ. Just a bit to think about.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Fergenaprido wrote: April 4th, 2021, 1:32 am
Films I'm considering:
Sorry Angel (Plaire, aimer et courir vite) (2018 France) - Solid gay drama; Xianjiro's planning to nominate it. - 3
Parwareshghah (The Orphanage) (2019 Afghanistan) - I think this might have been brought up in last year's discussion. - 2
Cassandro, the Exotico! (2018 France) - French doc about a gay Mexican wrestler. Oddly fascinating - 3
Khrustal (Crystal Swan) (2018 Belarus) - Solid Belarussian dramedy. -3
Indianara (2019 Brazil) - Doc about a pioneering trans activist in Brazil. - 2
Anbessa (Lion) (2019 USA) - American doc about an Ethiopian boy. - 2
The Death & Life of John F. Donovan (2018 Canada) - Dolan's worst, but I still like it a lot. I'd prefer to have Matthias & Maxime if we're going to only have one of his films though. - 2
We the Animals (2018 USA) - Just watched this last week, so still too fresh in my mind. I liked it, though it's probably different from what most people expect. - 3
Hayom Sheachrey Lechti (The Day After I'm Gone) (2019 Israel) - Drama about a father and his daughter trying to reconnect after she attempts suicide. - 2
I've had Sorry Angel on my potential watchlist for this festival since the beginning but haven't got around to it. As to Cassandro, the Exotico! I have had that ready to watch on my Hard Drive to watch for a year now. I didn't even consider it as a potential nomination but am more than happy to give it a watch for this if you nominate it.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

OK I have put a lot of thought and am ready to move forward with some of my last 5 nominations. I will say though that I am now wishing I hadn't nominated some of my earlier nominations, being new to this process I didn't have a good feel for it and made some silly choices on movies not necessarily up to scratch. Next year if I'm involved I'm going to take a slightly different approach if I am involved again.

Anyway here are 2 more nominations to take my total up to 27:

Youth (Dhalinyaro) - 2018
- Djibouti's first ever feature film. This female-directed film saw the coming-of-age tale of a group of three girls in the last year of high school. While they all need to make the same decision to either stay in Djibouti or to go overseas (Paris) to do their further education at University, their circumstances can't be any more different with one being rich, one being poor and the other in a single parent middle class family. Also chuck in their different romantic situations and you have a interesting story.
It started off a little poor and I was wondering what I had got myself into but as the movie progressed I started to dive deeper into caring about the 3 girls. The fact that they were from three different walks of life gave you a different look at what life meant for them and the decisions they had to make.

True History of the Kelly Gang - 2019 - Another Australian movie for the Indy selection while it says True History this is actually based on a fictionalised account of the Kelly Gang which gives it a little more of a punk group feeling to the Ned Kelly tale.

As to my other three spots unless I watch something better over the next couple of months these will be the movies to take those nominations. (if anyone else wants to take on the nominations of any of these please go ahead, it thus allows me more breathing room to fill it in)
The Burial of Kojo (2018) - A Ghanaian art-house movie which has a nice dream like atmosphere with a nice touch of the mystical.
Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom (2019) - A Bhutanese tale seeing a teacher sent to the most remote schoolhouse in the country to teach his last contracted year.
Digger (2020) - A greek movie best summed up by its IMDb summary "A father and a son long lost. Love and hate. Digging deep into mud to find their roots. Revenge and Redemption. A Western, revisited."

Edit: I'm contemplating using the date when Fergenaprido updates the watch count in the spreadsheet as the date I finalise the last of my nominations, thus giving everyone enough time to watch what they can.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Is there any rule that nominations CAN'T be rescinded?
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

OK my iCM and PTP lists have been updated with all new nominations. Also I have fixed my potential IMDb list to only include movies I haven't seen to show movies which could potentially take a final nomination spot from me.
xianjiro wrote: April 4th, 2021, 3:39 am Is there any rule that nominations CAN'T be rescinded?
Even if there is I won't remove nominations, I put them forward and there they will stay. It isn't like they're bad movies or anything, just that I'm second guessing them.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

kingink wrote: January 29th, 2021, 10:37 am I will start with 2 documentaries.

For Sama https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9617456/?ref_=ttls_li_tt
I see that some people have already seen it and I know that it has alomost 9.000 ratings on imdb, but it's such a great doc and I think it will draw people into the festival. It's an official check as well. I loved how it gives a great insight on why people are leaving Syria. After watvhing this one you can't even think twice about the reasons that led all those people to become refugees. It's strong, heart-wrenching at times, but very warm as well as you immediately love those people. I want it to be a nomination and if it goes over 10.000 ratings by the time the festival starts, well... too bad.

Minding the gap https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7476236/
Another great doc that can even work for the indie slate. It's in multiple lists about the best indie films of 2018 and another official check.
It's a doc that the director made with the footage that he was filming throughout his long friendship with the guys he grew up together. He creates a very real portray of those guys showing all the struggles that they faced while growing up and how they were affected through the years. He talks about serious matters like abuse and how they found a way out by skating. Again almost 8.000 ratings but I think we shouldn't miss out on including it.
I've seen both and will support them with 3s. At this point tough, I don't remember For Sama enough to add anything. However with Minding the Gap, this is such a personal documentary in a way that few are. I actually, for once, listened to the special features on the Criterion release and that really drove home the issues of documentary subject vulnerability and documentarian ethics. So this movie works on so many levels: it's a skateboarding movie, it's a growing up movie, it's a relationship movie, it's a movie about making documentaries. It's serious, heartfelt, but still loads of fun. Just a great all around mix that I'd love to be able to feature in the festival either in the Docu or Indie slate.
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

Fergenaprido wrote: April 4th, 2021, 1:32 am
Films I'm considering:

We the Animals is a great contender for the festival and I would definitely support it should you nominate it. I could see it filling an Indie slot quite comfortably, it would also get a 3 from me.
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

zzzorf wrote: April 4th, 2021, 3:26 am
As to my other three spots unless I watch something better over the next couple of months these will be the movies to take those nominations. (if anyone else wants to take on the nominations of any of these please go ahead, it thus allows me more breathing room to fill it in)
Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom (2019) - A Bhutanese tale seeing a teacher sent to the most remote schoolhouse in the country to teach his last contracted year.
I enjoyed Lunana although not quite enough to nominate it. I would give it a 2, it's a heartwarming tale even if it is one that has been told many times before. That's not neccessarily a bad thing though as the setting is absolutely stunning and it offers an insight into a fascinating way of life that brings a fresh angle to the story of a city boy adjusting to life in the remote countryside.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Just finished Beanpole/Dylda and give it a very weak 3 - not that strength means a whole lot at this stage. It will all come down to whatever other arthouse films we're looking at.

I think it's impeccably crafted. It's a grim world with grim characters. IDK what to say about it because it's clearly a film that different people will have grossly different reactions to. It's very slow placed, so we're left to our thoughts and emotions. This is almost the anti-action movie: important things happen, maybe when least expected, but we're left to decide what it all amounts to. Is it just a bitter commentary on what war does to people or some suggestion of what the soulless state does to the individual, even today? Then there are the 'relationships'. Between very broken people. Good emerges from a seemingly endless pile of pain and sadness.

This one will be a real mix for festival goers. Some will think it's the best and others, just the opposite. Even just among our group we're seeing a range of reactions. Don't believe I'd support it for the Main slate and glad it hasn't been suggested for LGBTQ even though a key relationship is between two female leads. So far it's only listed under Euro, which is perfectly fine, but it absolutely would make sense in Arthouse unless we're seeking to make that much more experimental or something.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Ended up watching two today. First up was Mario. I'm really conflicted between 2 and 3 for this one. On the one hand, I thought it was pretty enjoyable and well-made. I pretty much believed what was happening could in fact actually happen (something I so rarely feel when watching stuff from Hollywood or Bollywood) and thought all the actors did a fine job. Enjoyed the sports setting and thought they made great use of that. However, I also really felt let down by the where the film went. Really? Are will still in such a place? It felt a bit too "don't ask, don't tell" with alibi gf. I decided to give it a 2 mostly because it already has a couple 3s. I don't imagine I'd fight against it, just maybe hope there will be things we like better. And like is the operative word - I didn't like it as much as I might have had they decided to resolve the conflict in a different manner. That's the main reason I gave it a 2.

Rent-A-Pal was pretty damn funny although I felt so totally ripped off: I thought for once Wheaton would play a bad guy - preferably a la Kruger or Vorhees or whoever. :( Nope, just your run-of-the-mill creepy, friendly guy. Like most horror, this one requires certain suspensions of disbelief that I couldn't quite offer up. I was curious to see where it was going and other than a couple horror tropes, the production was good - actually better than most bigger budget horror I've sat through. And it's US indie so while Just b4 Dawn is the most logical slate, we could mix things up a bit and think about it for Indie. I could easily list the "problems" I had with the story, but why bother? I don't believe that will keep festival goers from enjoying it and maybe even discussing it a bit. It relies on lots of "old tech" & clearly VCR lends itself to something, but the movie is also just as much about today and the disconnect people have with each other thanks to current tech. It's almost too bad the important lessons about care-giving will be lost in the haze of horror. The one drawback is, while tension is clearly mounting throughout the film, I'm not sure it will have enough horror for genre fans. Sill, I gave it a 3 but also won't be surprised if other things push it aside.
filmbantha

Post by filmbantha »

xianjiro wrote: April 6th, 2021, 7:51 am
Rent-A-Pal was pretty damn funny although I felt so totally ripped off: I thought for once Wheaton would play a bad guy - preferably a la Kruger or Vorhees or whoever. :( Nope, just your run-of-the-mill creepy, friendly guy. Like most horror, this one requires certain suspensions of disbelief that I couldn't quite offer up. I was curious to see where it was going and other than a couple horror tropes, the production was good - actually better than most bigger budget horror I've sat through. And it's US indie so while Just b4 Dawn is the most logical slate, we could mix things up a bit and think about it for Indie. I could easily list the "problems" I had with the story, but why bother? I don't believe that will keep festival goers from enjoying it and maybe even discussing it a bit. It relies on lots of "old tech" & clearly VCR lends itself to something, but the movie is also just as much about today and the disconnect people have with each other thanks to current tech. It's almost too bad the important lessons about care-giving will be lost in the haze of horror. The one drawback is, while tension is clearly mounting throughout the film, I'm not sure it will have enough horror for genre fans. Sill, I gave it a 3 but also won't be surprised if other things push it aside.
:cheers: Really glad you enjoyed Rent-A-Pal and agree that it would have been hilarious to see Wheaton playing a stereotypical horror villain! It was my favourite film from Grimmfest last year which is a horror festival and a lot of the horror fans who watched it there were also taken with it, so this is a good indicator that it sits well with horror fans, despite the horror being a relatively minor part of the proceedings. I will keep my fingers crossed that the other programmers have a similar positive experience with Rent-A-Pal as I found the concept to be refreshingly original and well executed considering it is Jon Stevenson's directorial debut. I think it could squeeze quite comfortably into either the US indie or the Before Dawn section so I hope others will be intrigued by its offerings :thumbsup:
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Tlamess (2019, Ala Eddine Slim)

I thoroughly enjoyed, if not loved the first act - it reminded me a lot of There is No Evil, and hits you with the slow, grueling sense of resistance to committing violence. The second act, essentially showcasing a sense of upper/middle-class (well-to-do) alienation was quite solid as well - it really utilized its stripped-back, near-minimalist exposition and contemplative nature to establish a distinct feeling of oppressive emptiness. It started falling apart for me a little when the magical elements were introduced. They eye on eye closeups are quite unique - and a really cool concept, but it didn't really go anywhere with it - and this final act simply felt odd, out of place and a little purposeless - when compared with what came before. Is it a freedom in nature kind of exploration? Not quite sure what to make off it. Overall, still good - and it shows quite a bit of talent from Ala Eddine Slim. 6-6.5/10 (1).

(The monolith also felt like a too obvious and jarring throwback to 2001, which took me out of the film whenever it was on screen)
beavis

Post by beavis »

St. Gloede wrote: April 6th, 2021, 10:15 am It started falling apart for me a little when the magical elements were introduced
I found this to be the reaction of more people who saw it at the IFFR :)
Besides 2001 there is also the biblical symbolism that is a bit on the nose, but I still love that he goes for things like that! In his first feature the magical/fantasy elements are more limited and mysterious (and there is nothing to split the experience in two), but alas that one is outside of our timeframe.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

filmbantha wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:10 am It was my favourite film from Grimmfest last year which is a horror festival and a lot of the horror fans who watched it there were also taken with it, so this is a good indicator that it sits well with horror fans, despite the horror being a relatively minor part of the proceedings.
That's good to know. My concern was if we billed it as horror, people wouldn't have enough jump scares or gore to satisfy them but then again, not sure how many people like that "come" to the festival. So I think Jb4D slate isn't a bad choice. However, that said, the more humanitarian side of the film might be missed because non-horrorheads might assume "it's horror which means ..." and thus give it a skip. Thus, as you've suggesting, billing it as a family drama and placing it on the Indie slate could open it up. I also didn't find the "horror" at the end of the film gratuitous even if it struck me as a bit over-the-top (mostly related to David's reaction to the situation).

Interestingly enough, I was actually thinking about a sequel last night. I'd like to continue Wheaton, but make it all much more interactive. After all, the "photo" that replaces the one of David and his father - how does it get there? And thus I called it a horror trope. They made it fairly pointed but didn't do anything with it. If it was simply a nod, they'd have not pulled any more attention to the photo than any other. So I'd like to have Dandy Andy interact with his fans. Then maybe we could see a different side of Wheaton's acting as well. Or maybe he wants to be milk toast all his life.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Have seen two more. First off, Shirley which I've rated a strong 2. Moss is quite good and I've enjoyed seeing her really bring various characters to life. It's a heavy fictionalization of a period in author Shirley Jackson's life. However, it struck me more like Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? lite The character's aren't particularly likable and they treat each other fairly horribly, but there is a glimmer of something, just not sure what. Unfortunately it's a hard film to "like" though it's reasonably well-made. On some level I suspect this is a commentary on how some women treat other women and why they behave the way they do. It will probably resonate with some and leave others disgusted or perplexed. It's not easy to watch. It's not fun. Actually, it's an awful lot easier to say what is not than what it is. I thought it was pretty interesting, but I'm not really convinced it's right for the festival. We'll see what shakes out. Indie is probably the best place for it - nothing else really works.

This Is Not Berlin got a very weak 3 from me, but NOT for LGBTQ - actually, I find it more appealing as "arthouse" since the counterculture art scene is front and center. The final scene cinched it for me that LGBTQ would be the wrong place for it. LatAm is pretty much a given and since it's all about breaking down social conventions - or at least a couple guys exploring a world of sex, drugs, and post punk - it would be an interesting addition to that slate. But going into this expecting some sort of gay story just diverts attention from a meticulous creation: the design departments worked very hard to make this feel authentic. My guess is unless someone actually was there, the audience will believe it. I also don't know that it's very likable for a mainstream audience, but I think anyone who has struggled to fit in will find something that speaks to them. It's a very unusual "coming of age" story and that's where a good deal of its charm lies.

Okay, I've changed my votes - to be honest, it's hard to rate both of these films and I don't think one is a stronger movie than the other but I do feel Berlin will be a better fit.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

OK I found a new Nomination to take one of my last 3 spots.

28. Marona's Fantastic Tale (L'extraordinaire voyage de Marona) - This French animated movie is something I didn't expect to like, the animation style looked silly to me but I thought I would give it a go, glad I did. The tale is seen from the perspective of a dog so everything is more a caricature of the real thing. What you got was an extraordinary journey that had so much to say about everything. Probably the strongest animated movie I recommended.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

beavis wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:29 pm
zzzorf wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:12 pm I just watched Dhalinyaro myself and am on the borderline of nominating for the exact same reason as you.
If you have plenty of slots left and are running out of ideas...;) ... I would fully support it!
You may have missed it but I nominated Dhalinyaro last week, your score hasn't been put into the spreadsheet yet.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Just finished Stop Filming Us, a barely seen (fewer than 60 ratings on IMDb as I write) Dutch film which tries really hard to ask questions about the representations of Africans (in this case, the people of Goma) in media from both a Western and an African perspective. Maybe it's easiest to call it a glorious failure since it both does and doesn't do what the many protagonists in the film want and fear. To have been a true success there should have been parallel productions, one of which was entirely Congolese, both addressing the same question. There is so much going on here: Ebola, UN, NGOs, migration, camps, recruitment of children, decolonialization, neo-colonialization, asking permission of employers in London, asking for funding, making a film (this film and another film besides), a music festival, a gallery opening, and discussions about what it all means, where it set, who makes the decisions, on and on. Does it sound a bit insane? That's probably because it is. There are no easy answers and it only presents information leaving whoever watches it to decide what it all means. Oh, and it's beyond self-aware: it also asks can a self-aware production really be self-aware or is it just fooling itself. UGH! I call these things glorious messes: nothing is neat or tidy, but that's life and we get to see so much more life in Goma in this film than all the news reports ...

But there is a clear and important message expressed by some of the participants: they have the tools, they just need to decide to pick them up and use them. In addition, they need to write their own rulebook. It's a very interesting concept that could have been the subject of the film all by itself.

I give this one a 3 even though it's not the film anyone probably wants it to be, but it's a look into another part of this world. Yes, it would have been "better" (maybe) if there had been no Western involvement, but so far I haven't seen that film yet. This, at least, gets the viewer thinking about viewing the world, a given topic, from a different viewpoint. It's not the different viewpoint: it's the asking on African subjects if a Western film crew can show that different viewpoint.

edit: Sorry, forgot to mention slate - yes, both Docu and African/Asian make perfect sense though as I think about this, I'd probably lean towards Documentary since this isn't an African production.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Watched two more today. First up was Dating Amber: a cute, funny coming of age/coming out story. I'm not one to easily laugh at film comedy, but this worked very well for me. It's basically an Irish version of the old "let's date so they stop calling us gay" type story but one thing it does pretty well is it shows the confusion young people can feel as they come to terms with their orientation. Strong candidate for the LGBTQ slate - rated it 3 - and have no concerns about including it in the festival even if the film has some weakness.

The other film was Anaira which I also gave a 3. It was really cool to see a fully-realized sci-fi production come out of any place other than the big studios. I was totally taken in by the concept and execution even if they plot is a bit plodding and disjointed in places. Sure, it's doesn't have anything on Star Wars or even Battlestar Galactica, and I thought there were easily more than one movie in this film (I think the whole Mima thing could have fleshed out a single, entirely realized film), but even though it's a bit dark, it's still entertaining and interesting. Euro is about the only place it makes sense. If we're calling Just Before Dawn the genre slate, it could go there, but I think most will be disappointed if we program it there.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Watched Tremors (Temblores) tonight. Liked it better than I remember liking La Llorona from last year's festival but probably not as well as Ixcanul. Think this director's got talent and has someone (a producer?) who it able to make these films happen in a country not yet know for it's cinematic output. I've rated it a weak 3, but am not sure it's really right for the festival since it's not an entertaining film and the vague ending can leave people feeling unclear of the real intent behind the film. My biggest complaint is that the protagonist is from the wealthier part of society - maybe Bustamante and crew are just filming what they know and yes, there are positive portrayals of people from other walks of life. Those are my two biggest beefs.

Otherwise I think the story was engaging - maybe editing creates a lack of clarity at times. I don't think we're meant to like most of the characters (something I remember from Llarona), but we are taken to the world inhabited by Evangelicals and their conversion therapy. While the setting is different, that part of the story seems very familiar and tracks with other movies with similar settings as well as media reports. Also, much of the content reminds my of personal experiences of Mexican men, so there is certainly veracity in the story.

I probably like the film better for LatAm as it's at least as much about religion and family in Latin American society. While the film isn't meant to be negative towards the LGBTQ (especially Gay) community, it's easy to walk away with that feeling. Vagueness appears to be something of a stylistic choice Bustamante is making and he's clearly talented and an up-and-coming director. Won't be entirely surprised to see him work in Hollywood at some point.

Besides the overall tone and subject matter, we've already featured two of his prior films, so I'm inclined to look for other talent to feature. And as I've written, I just don't believe this will be a huge hit with festival goers, but I still think it's great work by cast and crew.
beavis

Post by beavis »

agreed on all counts
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Watched Jonaki. Went in completely cold and was glad that I was able to 'get it', but I often have a lot of trouble with this kind of movie. While I can't say I liked it, I think it will resonate with some of our audience and it makes perfect sense in Arthouse. It's a strong 2, especially there. For AfAsia, I'm less sure: it will depend what else we have to offer, but I liked Jinpa and Balloon better. Don't really know what to say about it other than it felt well-constructed and in terms of the movie's world, nothing stood out as alien even if the movie felt very alien to me.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Watched Fin de Siglo (End of Century). Quiet. Understated. Interesting concept, but the low budget (or 'found' location) and time travel confused me. Guess I look around the scene more than I'm supposed to. I'm less of a fan though I think the story quite compelling - the whole what if thing. Again, the low budget, and I've seen this a number of times before, means they shot on digital, so it's got a whole documentary-type feel which is also a bit confusing. I think there will be some interest, especially since it's a bit arty, a bit sexy, a bit unusual. I definitely like it better for LGBTQ than LatAm - just didn't feel the least bit Argentinian to me, other than one comment about Sonia. I'll give it a strong 2 and wait to see what the group decides.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Saw Song without Name (Cancion sin Nombre) and give it a weak 3. I could go with either LatAm or Arthouse: depends largely on what else makes the cut, etc. I will admit to wanting more from the film but it does an interesting job of shining light on a particular time in Peruvian history. Of course it's hard not to wonder what happens next to the characters. I will also admit to really wanting to know WTF goes on in the minds of the people running the clinic: such is so far removed from the way I see the world.

The movie has a dreamlike quality. It's laconic. Understated. And yet still melodic. While I can't say it's anything great, it's interesting and I didn't find myself bored in the least. Expect it to get mixed reviews/ratings from the audience as it won't be what everyone is looking for and as much as I wasn't bored, others will be.
zzzorf

Post by zzzorf »

Xianjiro, I love how while you are not nominating many yourself you have been the most prominent watcher of the nominations of the rest of us. That coupled with your write-ups are keeping this thread active and keeping me invested in this project.