Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Directors Filmographies

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

allisoncm on Dec 23 2011, 06:04:59 PM wrote:Yeah, I've totally seen everything by François Truffaut.
Did you see Tire au flanc? That one was so bad :yucky:
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

Kasparius on Dec 23 2011, 06:35:59 PM wrote:Did you see Tire au flanc? That one was so bad :yucky:
Of course! And of course.
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

Done.
bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x »

Trying to complete PTA - are any of his shorts unavailable?
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

bal3x on Dec 25 2011, 12:11:40 PM wrote:Trying to complete PTA - are any of his shorts unavailable?
Yeah Flagpole special. You should also watch his music videos they are masterpieces. Across the Universe, Paper Bag and Try specifically.
bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x »

Kasparius on Dec 25 2011, 01:04:58 PM wrote:Yeah Flagpole special. You should also watch his music videos they are masterpieces. Across the Universe, Paper Bag and Try specifically.
Thanks! And how about these:

Saturday Night Live: The Best of Molly Shannon (2001) (V)
SNL Fanatic (2000) (TV)

Seems I managed to find the other shorts.
Yes, those 3 music videos are pretty cool (especially Across The Universe) even though musically I would prefer "Save Me" by Aimee Mann :)
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

bal3x on Dec 25 2011, 01:34:44 PM wrote:Thanks! And how about these:

Saturday Night Live: The Best of Molly Shannon (2001) (V)
SNL Fanatic (2000) (TV)

Seems I managed to find the other shorts.
Yes, those 3 music videos are pretty cool (especially Across The Universe) even though musically I would prefer "Save Me" by Aimee Mann :)
I love Fiona Apple's music (and Aimee Mann's). SNL fanatic can be found on the Best of Molly Shanon, it's quite fun actually :)
bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x »

Kasparius on Dec 25 2011, 01:44:08 PM wrote:I love Fiona Apple's music (and Aimee Mann's). SNL fanatic can be found on the Best of Molly Shanon, it's quite fun actually :)
Thanks, but looks like it's not available online, at least I cannot find it :(
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

bal3x on Dec 25 2011, 02:03:04 PM wrote:Thanks, but looks like it's not available online, at least I cannot find it :(
I have it on my hard drive I can upload it somewhere if you want.
bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x »

Kasparius on Dec 25 2011, 02:09:58 PM wrote:I have it on my hard drive I can upload it somewhere if you want.
If it's not much of a trouble that would certainly be appreciated!
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

bal3x on Dec 25 2011, 02:53:49 PM wrote:If it's not much of a trouble that would certainly be appreciated!
I'll do it after the holidays.
bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x »

Kasparius on Dec 25 2011, 03:28:53 PM wrote:I'll do it after the holidays.
Thanks!!
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

bal3x on Dec 25 2011, 03:39:04 PM wrote:Thanks!!
PT Anderson is so whatever. But I'm sort of interested in his music videos. I used to like Fiona Apple and Aimee Mann. Saw Apple once (in Knoxville) and saw Aimee Mann twice in Nashville and once in Los Angeles. I think her recent stuff is blah though. Anyway.

One of my favorite quotes ever is "If Fiona Apple had played her cards right, she could have been Mrs. Pt. Anderson." :lol:

BTW, this thread could be in the running for the most quotes. Yay.
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

allisoncm on Dec 25 2011, 07:45:52 PM wrote:PT Anderson is so whatever. But I'm sort of interested in his music videos. I used to like Fiona Apple and Aimee Mann. Saw Apple once (in Knoxville) and saw Aimee Mann twice in Nashville and once in Los Angeles. I think her recent stuff is blah though. Anyway.

One of my favorite quotes ever is "If Fiona Apple had played her cards right, she could have been Mrs. Pt. Anderson." :lol:

BTW, this thread could be in the running for the most quotes. Yay.
Who said that quote ( I agree though). P.T. Anderson is the greatest, you too will one day understand his genius and you will then repent and lament your philistine approach to his brilliant work B)
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

Kasparius on Dec 25 2011, 07:53:46 PM wrote:Who said that quote ( I agree though). P.T. Anderson is the greatest, you too will one day understand his genius and you will then repent and lament your philistine approach to his brilliant work B)
I have no idea. Some douchebag at another movieforum whose name escapes me. But yeah, I appreciate his genius I just don't particularly enjoy his films or care that much about them.

I am so bad at recognizing people, yet one of my only non-Q&A celebrity sightings was at the Sherman Oaks Arclight. I saw PT Anderson. I recognized Maya Rudolph first though. Then their kid. Then I just supposed that was him along with them.
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

We are really pushing our luck w/this obnoxious quote. But whatever. It's x-mas.
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

allisoncm on Dec 25 2011, 07:57:50 PM wrote:I have no idea. Some douchebag at another movieforum whose name escapes me. But yeah, I appreciate his genius I just don't particularly enjoy his films or care that much about them.

I am so bad at recognizing people, yet one of my only non-Q&A celebrity sightings was at the Sherman Oaks Arclight. I saw PT Anderson. I recognized Maya Rudolph first though. Then their kid. Then I just supposed that was him along with them.
I'm going to keep this one going :) Well I think PTA would be high in the attractive director pool I have to start soon. (at least versus most of the others)

I don't really like Aimee Mann's current work either. I still like Apple though and I wish she was more prolific. Have you seen the Iconoclasts series episode with Fiona Apple and Tarantino, it's quite compelling and Quentin I think has a crush because he's being really sweet and genuine in a way that would shock a bunch of people.
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

Kasparius on Dec 25 2011, 08:10:11 PM wrote:I'm going to keep this one going :) Well I think PTA would be high in the attractive director pool I have to start soon. (at least versus most of the others)

I don't really like Aimee Mann's current work either. I still like Apple though and I wish she was more prolific. Have you seen the Iconoclasts series episode with Fiona Apple and Tarantino, it's quite compelling and Quentin I think has a crush because he's being really sweet and genuine in a way that would shock a bunch of people.
I don't think PTA is attractive or unattractive one way or the other.

The idea of QT & Fiona is cute. Has she done anything since her third recording? I have not heard about it, but then I am not big on music anymore.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

allisoncm on Dec 25 2011, 08:49:26 PM wrote:I don't think PTA is attractive or unattractive one way or the other.

The idea of QT & Fiona is cute. Has she done anything since her third recording? I have not heard about it, but then I am not big on music anymore.
intothewild is going to cry when he sees this thread :lol:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

mightysparks on Dec 25 2011, 08:53:09 PM wrote:intothewild is going to cry when he sees this thread :lol:
Here's the QT/Fiona Apple thing I was talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yoTVFRvGmc

I can't seem to do the direct flash links anymore :( What's going on?
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

mightysparks on Dec 25 2011, 08:53:09 PM wrote:intothewild is going to cry when he sees this thread :lol:
Why?

tehe
jgwr

Post by jgwr »

For any Ingmar Bergman completists:
http://www.openculture.com/2011/12/ingm ... cials.html
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

intothewild on Dec 26 2011, 12:39:42 AM wrote:
Why?

tehe
Boo :down: ! No fun.
Last edited by mightysparks on December 26th, 2011, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

added Howard Hughes :)
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

I suppose, add him to mine as well. I thought the Outlaw was by far inferior. Even though Jane Russell looked great. If there's not a (good) story, I will take off major points.
Last edited by allisoncm on January 7th, 2012, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

I think I'm going to do something crazy, and it won't be today, but I think I'm going to finish Hitchcock and Chabrol's filmography on the same day.
rohit

Post by rohit »

Kaspar,

Add me too.

I have completed:

Wes Anderson
Christopher Nolan
Darren Aronofsky (I can't find some of the shorts)
Anurag Kashyap
Imtiaz Ali
Aditya Chopra
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

rohit on Jan 9 2012, 05:56:08 AM wrote:Kaspar,

Add me too.

I have completed:

Wes Anderson
Christopher Nolan
Anurag Kashyap
Imtiaz Ali
Aditya Chopra
Good to have you here. I thought you had finished Kurosawa?
Last edited by Kasparius on January 9th, 2012, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rohit

Post by rohit »

Kasparius on Jan 9 2012, 08:54:04 AM wrote:
rohit on Jan 9 2012, 05:56:08 AM wrote:Kaspar,

Add me too.

I have completed:

Wes Anderson
Christopher Nolan
Anurag Kashyap
Imtiaz Ali
Aditya Chopra
Good to have you here. I thought you had finished Kurosawa?
I have around 4-5 films left from Kurosawa and 15 from Ray.
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

Is ¿Quién me quiere a mí? (1936) co-directed by Bunuel available anywhere.
rohit

Post by rohit »

Completed:

Wes Anderson
Christopher Nolan
Darren Aronofsky
Stanley Kubrick
Terrence Malick
Anurag Kashyap
Imtiaz Ali
Aditya Chopra

Working On:
Spoiler: click to toggle
Satyajit Ray
David Lynch
Coen Brothers
Akira Kurosawa
Quentin Tarantino
Paul Thomas Anderson
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu

These for now. Will keep on updating this.
Last edited by rohit on January 15th, 2012, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
rohit

Post by rohit »

Completed: Terrence Malick
George Bailey

Post by George Bailey »

Well, according to Lars von Trier's filmography list on iCheckmovies, I have finished his :)
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

You might have to remove Wes Anderson when his new film comes out. How does that work anyway?
rohit

Post by rohit »

Completed: Jean Vigo (if that counts)
Kasparius

Post by Kasparius »

rohit on Feb 2 2012, 06:11:54 AM wrote:Completed: Jean Vigo (if that counts)
It counts. Done.
themagician

Post by themagician »

This may not be the most appropriate thread to post this in, but I can't think of where else to post this, so here goes...

This is a piece of software I've been working on for the past week or two. The screenshot is quite telling, but let me tell some specifics.

First of all, it uses the full IMDb database, which is built from the interfaces they share online so that you have the full IMDb database on your hard drive for instantaneous database queries and results.

Then, by loading your IMDb ratings in the CSV format (which you can download from imdb.com) in the software it builds a list of all the directors you've seen at least one film from and shows you, from left to right:

Watched: On the left is the number of films you've seen and on the right is the number of films they've directed.

By the way, all the numbers you see match the options you've selected via the checkboxes and it updates all the data instantaneously.

Num to go: The number of films you haven't seen.

% to go: Same as above, but the percentage value.

Runtime: How many minutes you have left from completing the filmography. This may not always show the correct value if the runtime is missing from the IMDb database.

You can also sort the table by any column in any order by just clicking a column header, e.g. here I've sorted it by the "Watched" column in the order that shows the largest number first.

Below you can also see some options. If you want to see just feature films, check only the feature films box and it'll show you only feature films. If you want to see all feature films and shorts, you'd check both "feature films" and "shorts", etc. Here I've selected to only show data for feature films.

Neat, huh?

I've already used it to complete one filmography as I was only missing a 9 minute short from one director :)

There's still a few things that need to be done so can't quite yet release it, but something to get excited about at least ;) I also need to make an export feature, because building the database takes a while even on my FAST computer, so that users with older PCs can also get statistics.

This should be an excellent motivator to complete more filmographies as you can easily pick easy filmographies to complete.

Another thought while programming this was how neat it would be to have a website where you could compete with completing filmographies, see what the most completed filmographies are, etc.

Anyway, who wants to have the first go? :D When I feel like it's ready I'll probably pick some beta testers.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

We're in the presence of a genius. :wub:
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Oh man, I would have loved this a few years ago. Actually, I'd still love it. One other thing that would be nice would be to create a column for average rating by director so I could use it to find those directors I've seen just one or two gems from and might not recognize by name.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Themagician, I love you (l)