Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Favourite Movies (Results), 1998 (Apr 15th), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Foxtrot, May nominations (Apr 30th)

The Film Lounge

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

I remember the film but no idea who directed it without looking it up.
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I visited my parents for dinner today, and my father pulled out some old family photos. He showed me a picture of my grandfather from the late 1940s, and it suddenly struck me that he looked a lot like Jack Palance. What do you guys think? Have a look.

JW1996

Post by JW1996 »

Cippenham wrote: February 19th, 2021, 8:08 am A lot of the above are on no official lists
I agree, but still, I love these lists. I try to find what is common with these movies, and what genre the director love.
Many of them but the way are very old movies. The love old classics!
JW1996

Post by JW1996 »

blocho wrote: February 20th, 2021, 4:13 am I visited my parents for dinner today, and my father pulled out some old family photos. He showed me a picture of my grandfather from the late 1940s, and it suddenly struck me that he looked a lot like Jack Palance. What do you guys think? Have a look.

Before I read your message, I just looked at the images, and I thought that these are two images of the same person :D
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

Later might create another little list with the Wright and Tarantino selections
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

They said Scorsese had seen a lot of films so would be high in ICM
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I was considering participating in this year's ICM top 1000. I didn't participate in 2019 and 2020, but I did in 2018 (a top 100). I feel like I can send a very qualitative top 100 this year, that's not the issue, but i'm very critical of myself, and feel like I don't have the right to participate because 1) most people have seen 5 to 10 times more than I did (I have almost seen 1000 movies) and 2) i just haven't seen enough so the ones i don't vote for are not necessarily movies I dislike, but movies I haven't seen. I have seen a lot from the 21st century though (744 films), but only 184 from the 20th century. Obviously my top 100 will be filled with 21st century titles. The good thing is: it balances out with users that like older or classic movies more. But still i'm not happy with it.

I've seen 245 movies from the top 1000. 54 films of my top 100 are already in the top 1000 (currently).

So not sure, was wondering what others would think about it
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Wasn't Une journée d'Andrei Arsenevitch an episode of Cinéma de notre temps? My spreadsheet says so, but it is a standalone title on IMDb now.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

Lak is just as entitled to take part as anyone. If it was me I would concentrate first on completing the top 100 on TSPDT to start with and build from there to get more 20th century greats watched. You won’t like all but will learn a lot from then and may lead to exploring more from certain directors.
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/tara ... cippenham/

Just created a list of films mentioned on the podcast by Edgar Wright and Tarantino. I have seen none of these... :lol:
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I've only seen 24 movies of TSPDT top 100 but i'm first focusing on completing my (urgent) watchlist. Some titles of TSPDT top 100 are also on that though. I'm (very) slowly starting to explore more 20th century movies. So it's probably not going to happen in 2021 but it might in 2022.

I hope to see half of TSPDT top 100 by thr end of the year af least
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

joachimt wrote: February 20th, 2021, 8:26 pm Wasn't Une journée d'Andrei Arsenevitch an episode of Cinéma de notre temps? My spreadsheet says so, but it is a standalone title on IMDb now.
yes it was but it also received a theatrical release so maybe imdb editors are getting cute.
clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey »

Lakigigar wrote: February 20th, 2021, 8:25 pm I was considering participating in this year's ICM top 1000. I didn't participate in 2019 and 2020, but I did in 2018 (a top 100). I feel like I can send a very qualitative top 100 this year, that's not the issue, but i'm very critical of myself, and feel like I don't have the right to participate because 1) most people have seen 5 to 10 times more than I did (I have almost seen 1000 movies) and 2) i just haven't seen enough so the ones i don't vote for are not necessarily movies I dislike, but movies I haven't seen. I have seen a lot from the 21st century though (744 films), but only 184 from the 20th century. Obviously my top 100 will be filled with 21st century titles. The good thing is: it balances out with users that like older or classic movies more. But still i'm not happy with it.

I've seen 245 movies from the top 1000. 54 films of my top 100 are already in the top 1000 (currently).

When I had seen 1000 movies I felt I would be more qualified to talk about films if I had seen 1500. Right now I'm at 3300+ and I still feel like I haven't seen enough. There will always be someone who have seen more, who knows more, who have a list you feel is better/more balanced/more eclectic than yours, a era/genre/area you don't know enough about. What matters is your taste, what you like, and the films you'd like to give a boost with your list. A list of favorite films is a list that features the films you like the most, nothing else. :)
Also, I'd rather have your list offering a different perspective than one filled with usual suspects.
Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham »

Just seen Strongroom 1962 recommendation by Tarantino and it has 18 checks but one of the best films I have seen for ages :thumbsup:
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

clemmetarey wrote: February 21st, 2021, 11:44 pm When I had seen 1000 movies I felt I would be more qualified to talk about films if I had seen 1500. Right now I'm at 3300+ and I still feel like I haven't seen enough.
I hit 10.000 this weekend and sometimes it feels like I still just scratched the surface. The only tip I can give is to explore the type of cinema that feels most promising to you and don't worry too much about what others deem worthy. There comes a time when you'll have more time to fill than there are films that excite you, which is the perfect moment to explore beyond your own interests.
Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 »

Lakigigar wrote: February 20th, 2021, 8:25 pm I was considering participating in this year's ICM top 1000. I didn't participate in 2019 and 2020, but I did in 2018 (a top 100). I feel like I can send a very qualitative top 100 this year, that's not the issue, but i'm very critical of myself, and feel like I don't have the right to participate because 1) most people have seen 5 to 10 times more than I did (I have almost seen 1000 movies) and 2) i just haven't seen enough so the ones i don't vote for are not necessarily movies I dislike, but movies I haven't seen. I have seen a lot from the 21st century though (744 films), but only 184 from the 20th century. Obviously my top 100 will be filled with 21st century titles. The good thing is: it balances out with users that like older or classic movies more. But still i'm not happy with it.

Like others already have said; of course you can participate! Your vote is worth as much as anyone else! It's an user list, so it's meant to represent the taste of our users and you are also an user on this forum. It doesn't matter how much you've seen. Maybe if we ever did some kind of expert list, than it would be a whole other discussion who qualifies as an expert on that kind of movies, but for a general user list everyone can vote. Votes of users who watch and like 21st century titles more than TSPDT darlings and classics or worth as much as those who've seen the whole TSPDT.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Well, I and 2 friends were talking about Hitler (i didn't start it lol). One of them is an ex-military veteran of 22 years who worked at the marine, was shot; went in coma, was declared dead, and surprisingly woke up. During later work, he felt of a roof and is partially paralysed on his feet and also suffers from brain damage because of being shot (shocks, loss of pain, and more). But I like him a lot. He's very much anti-war. Fine, we were talking about Hitler and to my surprise he proposed to watch The Great Dictator from Charlie Chaplin which surprised me a lot. So I agreed. The other one also agreed. I was of the opinion I would probably never watch a Chaplin movie or not very soon. But otherwise it would have been like a crappy Netflix movie, like the latest Bay, so I quickly agreed to prevent that from happening.

So, we watched it. To my surprise, i liked it. But I had no subtitles at all, so I understood like 50% of it. Of course the story isn't complicated, there is a lot of visual and slapstick humor, but I might've missed some more subtle references and humor. That being said, some scenes were absolutely brilliant. Hard to believe this movie was made in 1940... . I liked the movie to my surprise, but I could've appreciated the movie more with subs (i'm much better at reading than listening). If I don't like Chaplin's other movies, i will appreciate him for this, although i'll have to rewatch this for sure. It also made me curious of other Chaplin movies, so i'm not going to avoid him now.
prodigalgodson

Post by prodigalgodson »

Nice laki. I'm not much of a Chaplin fan, but that was a very pleasant surprise for me too.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

It might've not been a language issue, but a brain, mental or hearing issue. but I can perfectly follow Isaac Arthur's science channel, political channels, PBS Nova shows, and let's play's, CNN's election night and US political debates. I also had no trouble with It Follows, but I did have trouble when I rewatched Snow White, so i used subs after 5 mins.

Ironically, I once tried to watch the dutch movie Simon. I couldn't understand most of it. But if i hear Dutchies talk, i can't understand them. On the dutch movie website moviemeter.nl, some dutch people complain about not understanding flemish movies either, so it's not an issue of me alone, but because of the stark language differences on short distances (regional language, dialects, accents, influence of foreign and "new" language as well as the presence of west-flemish and frisian all sort of fucked this up.

So yes, i can say I can't understand some movies in my native language very well lol.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Lakigigar wrote: February 25th, 2021, 7:54 pm Hard to believe this movie was made in 1940...

What about the film made it odd/surprising for the 40s?

And what was it that made you disinterested in Chaplin?

I'm a bit mixed on The Great Dictator as well. Some great scenes, but I didn't love it. Perhaps just a little bit too farcical for me. Should perhaps give it a rewatch, as I have not seen it since I was a teenager. I prefer his bleak serial killer comedy Monsieur Verdoux and the stunning melancholy of Limelight if we are talking about his sound era work - which I just might prefer to his silents.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

St. Gloede wrote: February 26th, 2021, 10:28 am I prefer his bleak serial killer comedy Monsieur Verdoux and the stunning melancholy of Limelight if we are talking about his sound era work - which I just might prefer to his silents.
Sounds like I should give these a chance, just to compare. So far Chaplin is the absolute worst for me (literally, the single most track record for all directors I've seen a substantial amount of films from), maybe I'll find his non-silent/slapstick work easier to stomach.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Would be really interested in hearing your takes on these.
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

I'm mostly annoyed by Keaton's slapstick work but that's not the case for Chaplin's. Uninterested maybe, but I wouldn't call it "the worst". Chaplin has always tried to add a touch of emotion and sensitivity that almost never fails to hit the mark
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I'd thought slapstick was nothing for me, but I'd tolerated it more than I expected. The Great Dictator is also much more than just slapstick.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

pitchorneirda wrote: February 26th, 2021, 11:21 am I'm mostly annoyed by Keaton's slapstick work but that's not the case for Chaplin's. Uninterested maybe, but I wouldn't call it "the worst". Chaplin has always tried to add a touch of emotion and sensitivity that almost never fails to hit the mark
I have a lot less trouble with Keaton for some reason, though I prefer his stunt work over his full-on comedy bits. Chaplin's Tramp just trigger me :D

@St. Gloede: will see if I can slip in Monsieur Verdoux somewhere in the near future.
St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

Onderhond wrote: February 26th, 2021, 11:52 am @St. Gloede: will see if I can slip in Monsieur Verdoux somewhere in the near future.
Awesome, can't wait.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

St. Gloede wrote: February 26th, 2021, 11:12 am Would be really interested in hearing your takes on these.
Really? You would?
Good_Will_Harding

Post by Good_Will_Harding »

Last minute Golden Globe predix, even though the only reason to watch this show every year is to see celebs getting increasingly more drunk as it goes on - which we may not even get this year. :shrug:

Pic D: Chicago 7
Pic CM: Borat 2
Dir: Fincher
Actress D: Mulligan
Actor D: Boseman
Actress CM: Bakalova
Actor CM: Baron Cohen
Supp Actress: Close
Supp Actor: Kaluuya
Screenplay: Chicago 7
Score: Soul
Song: Speak Now
Animated: Soul
Foreign: Minari
galimx

Post by galimx »

I made a list about "ghosts" of japan - like adding japanese movies that are more on the obscure/underwatched/art/experimental/pinku side...

Here is the link if anyone is interested
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I don't know where to leave this, maybe someone can redirect it to a more relevant thread if he wants? :P
TCM examines problematic classic films
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comment ... y/gpmcoyt/ <- including list
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Torgo wrote: March 4th, 2021, 3:26 pm I don't know where to leave this, maybe someone can redirect it to a more relevant thread if he wants? :P
TCM examines problematic classic films
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comment ... y/gpmcoyt/ <- including list
Well, we don't have a thread devoted specifically to controversial/banned/problematic films so this is probably as good a place as any. Maybe somebody should start such a thread? Torgo it should be your job - stop resurrecting ancient threads for a moment and start a new one!

Anyway my first thought was "Oh this is just another excuse for them to show Gone With the Wind again, before even looking at the list and - sure enough it's there. Here's the list for those who don't want to click on a link to reddit (I'm sure some people avoid that site on principal):

Gone With the Wind (1939)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
Rope (1948)
The Four Feathers (1939)
Woman of the Year (1942)
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)
Gunga Din (1939)
Sinbad, the Sailor (1947)
The Jazz Singer (1927)
The Searchers (1956)
Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
Swing Time (1936)
Stagecoach (1939)
Tarzan, the Ape Man (1959)
My Fair Lady (1964)
The Children's Hour (1961)
Psycho (1960)
Dragon Seed (1944)

I've seen all of them except Dragon Seed - if I'm remembering that's the one with Katharine Hepburn in yellowface? I think I pretty much know why all of these are controversial though some I don't remember well - not sure about Woman of the Year but I presume it's some elements of sexism. Honestly it's an awfully generic list of films with problems that are well-known to anybody who knows even a bit about classic Hollywood. I can think of a lot more interesting, somewhat less-famous, or (slightly) more modern works they could have picked like Mandingo, Sweet Sweetback and Manhattan. Maybe something genuinely problematic from recent years, like Aloha, to show how these trends have unfortunately never gone away altogether. And of course these are all English-language and all but one (The Four Feathers) American, which further limits things - though I guess in this particular case I can understand the focus on Hollywood in particular. But the fact that the newest film on this list dates from 1967 is an indication to me that despite the avowed purpose of the series, they're still playing it safe.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

those who don't want to click on a link to reddit (I'm sure some people avoid that site on principal)
Huh?, why is that? It's not 4chan or, by god!, 8chan. But it's always unhandy to have a (short) list not expanded in a post, you're absolutely right. I considered doing that.

OldAle1 wrote: March 4th, 2021, 3:37 pm
Torgo wrote: March 4th, 2021, 3:26 pm Well, we don't have a thread devoted specifically to controversial/banned/problematic films so this is probably as good a place as any. Maybe somebody should start such a thread? Torgo it should be your job - stop resurrecting ancient threads for a moment and start a new one!
Mh, I don't know, I'm not much of a thread starter. Trying to stay under the radar.
:ph43r:
Weird there is not such a thread yet - I had the feeling we're discussing such issues all the time, hehe.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

I seem to have a problem with Italian cinema...

Suspiria 10 (my all-time number 2)
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo 9
C'era una volta il west 7
Per un pugno di dollari 6
Per qualche dollaro in più 6

But than...
Call Me By Your Name 5
La vita é bella 5
La grande bellezza 4
Le meraviglie 3
Cannibal Holocaust 3

It just is all so freaking boring, and whatever I try to do... i seem to strongly dislike it, esp. contemporary Italian cinema... because I haven't been able to like an Italian movie produced after 1977. Not been able to yet.

Corpo Celeste was also recommended to me... i think I certainly am not going to watch that anymore. Also not going to watch Lazzaro Felice too. It's really an issue... that i just can't seem to like contemporary Italian movies.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Contemporary Italian, gotcha.

Perfect Strangers (2016) might be the best, universally working comedy of the decade with countless remakes in several nations. I recommend it.
Of course there's Malèna (2000) with Monica Bellucci at maybe her most breathtaking.
Gomorra (2008), one of the more important non-American mafia films. Dogman (2018) from the same director belongs to the more discussed European films of the recent years, it's sometimes really tough, nice one.
If you have just 6 hours to spare, why not watch The Best of Our Youth (2003)? (I'm not a big fan)

I still have to see Il postino (1994) myself, it has some high standing.
My search results also came up with Swept Away, featuring Madonna and her then-husband Guy Ritchie, and it's hilariously awful enough to see it, LOL.
dirty_score

Post by dirty_score »

Lakigigar wrote: March 4th, 2021, 8:59 pm I seem to have a problem with Italian cinema... It's really an issue... that i just can't seem to like contemporary Italian movies.
Maybe you can find something you like in this list that's overdue to be official: David di Donatello - Best Film
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

Yes, I might've been watching the wrong movies. Dogman is something i was going to watch quite soon (Gomorra is from the same director as well). I was going to watch The Best of Our Youth too at some point. Perhaps indeed Perfect Strangers or La stanza del figlio. And i've not heard a lot from Malèna but it could be worth a watch as well.

I've seen many people that have a similar taste to me, also like The Consequences of Love (while disliking The Great Beauty and most likely Youth as well). On my IMDb watchlist, i also have: La sconosiuta, Io non ho paura, Respiro, Buongiorno, notte and a some older movies (some Italian new wave, giallo, spaghetti westerns and other movies like Bicycle Thief & Cinema Paradiso). I also think I might like Suburra.

But it's a country i have some trouble with. It could be just a bad luck streak.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

dirty_score wrote: March 4th, 2021, 9:20 pm
Lakigigar wrote: March 4th, 2021, 8:59 pm I seem to have a problem with Italian cinema... It's really an issue... that i just can't seem to like contemporary Italian movies.
Maybe you can find something you like in this list that's overdue to be official: David di Donatello - Best Film
That's a really interesting list even though I haven't seen a lot from it.

Dogman is amazing.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
pitchorneirda

Post by pitchorneirda »

Lakigigar wrote: March 4th, 2021, 8:59 pm Corpo Celeste was also recommended to me... i think I certainly am not going to watch that anymore. Also not going to watch Lazzaro Felice too. It's really an issue... that i just can't seem to like contemporary Italian movies.
Don't give up on Alice Rohrwacher so soon...Le Meraviglie, Corpo Celeste and Lazzaro Felice are quite different. You even said earlier today that you never love every movie of a given director, so you can't infer that you're not gonna like a filmography based on one movie!
I had to watch 10 Bergman before liking one (Aus dem Leben der Marionetten)
"Art is like a fire, it is born from the very thing it burns" - Jean-Luc Godard
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

pitchorneirda wrote: March 4th, 2021, 10:27 pm I had to watch 10 Bergman before liking one (Aus dem Leben der Marionetten)
Wow - usually it takes people 10 Bergmen to not like one! :D
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

pitchorneirda wrote: March 4th, 2021, 10:27 pm
Lakigigar wrote: March 4th, 2021, 8:59 pm Corpo Celeste was also recommended to me... i think I certainly am not going to watch that anymore. Also not going to watch Lazzaro Felice too. It's really an issue... that i just can't seem to like contemporary Italian movies.
Don't give up on Alice Rohrwacher so soon...Le Meraviglie, Corpo Celeste and Lazzaro Felice are quite different. You even said earlier today that you never love every movie of a given director, so you can't infer that you're not gonna like a filmography based on one movie!
I had to watch 10 Bergman before liking one (Aus dem Leben der Marionetten)
Yeah that's true, yes. Good point. I even will add that from all directors i've seen i've also not disliked every movie from their filmography (although in some cases, not liked a single one, but not disliking them all).

But i won't try it soon. I was planning to watch another movie this evening, but I didn't, because of that Rohrwacher movie, and i really didn't wanted to anymore.