Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th), 1933 (May 12th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Silent films

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0011716/

Something to Think About, a Cecil B. DeMille film, has a ridiculously high rating. 8.7/10 with 467 votes.

ICM: 8 checks
RYM: 0 ratings
Mubi: 0 ratings
Letterboxd: 1 rating, 6/10

Well, the title is telling the truth. This is something to think about.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface »

Pretty much all Gloria Swanson films have ridiculously inflated IMDB ratings
PUNQ

Post by PUNQ »

Yeah, I remember that happening many years back. Even a ton of lost Gloria Swanson films all of a sudden gained super high ratings with many votes. Not seen Something to Think About (1920), so I can't comment on that one, but I usually find Swanson films at least one nudge below the fan-infested ratings on IMDB.

As for 1920, you can check my Top-100 of 1920 for suggestions. I also have individual Top-100/Top-300 lists for the other years between 1896 to 1939, though they haven't been updated for a year.
- The Western 2016, 2017, 2019 & 2020 Asian 2016, War 2019, 1940s 2019 and Unofficial 2019 & 2020 CHALLENGE WINNER!
- The ICM First-Check Master!
- Member of ICM's 30,000 Checks Club!
- The guy with the most reviews on Letterboxd!
- And now the guy that's added the most movies to Criticker!
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi »

Art, have you seen Soul of the Cypress? I thought it was 1920, but imdb lists it as 1921.

I suppose a lot of viewers will consider it fruity or affected, but it has a lyrical, gothic quality that you might appreciate, and a few moments are very nice. I found it online without sound, but I think I first viewed it with music. And it's only seven minutes long.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

There is a vhs rip of Something to Think About on KG. Still, I find it hard to believe that it received that many votes. The uploader described it as a masterpiece, but it's DeMille so I have an even harder time believing that.

I skimmed through your list before PUNQ, same with Lyrical_Nitrate's ratings on letterboxd. I'm a huge fan of silent films and already watched quite a bit, so it's definitely more difficult than just looking up the essentials. Next up, I'm rewatching The Parson's Widow as it's been a while. Mästerman has quite a bit of praise on another film forum I go on, and it's Sjostrom who's quite good, so hopefully with these 2 I'll have this year done.

I didn't see The Soul of the Cypress yet. I'll be doing 1921 after this though so I'll check it out. The other years will definitely be easier though, at least I hope. Most will already have a top 6, and a few even have a top 9, so after 1920 the rest should go smoothly.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Ettinauer226XL on May 21 2016, 12:55:10 PM wrote:The uploader described it as a masterpiece, but it's DeMille so I have an even harder time believing that.
Yeah, DeMille and masterpiece rarely go together, unless preceded by the word "no".
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Holy shit Os Faroleiros [Lighthouse Keepers]! To me it felt surprisingly modern with how the plot is. The 2nd half is basically in one building with like 3-4 different camera angles but Maurice Mariaud knew what he was doing and even made it thrilling.

I especially loved the last 30 minutes. For some reason imdb lists it as 72 minutes, but my rip was 105. The 30 minutes was a shot of static. It felt really out of place but it was quite hypnotic. I wonder how they were able to do an effect like that in the early 20s! Here's how the static looked like.

EDIT: This is a bad joke if you couldn't tell. For some reason the KG rip has 30 minutes of static at the end.

Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on May 26th, 2016, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Gotta love posting in wrong threads...

The only copy of Fait-divers is a cam copy with the guy hiding a camera in his bag. What constitutes a check?

Still, the copy looks better than most silent films that aren't easily available

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Rewatched segments of Os Faroleiros [Lighthouse Keepers] just to see how I feel about it now. Uprated it to 10/10 which I haven't done in over a year.

I noticed that the director Maurice Mariaud is also the screenwriter and plays the starring role. I love it when people do that shit like that. They almost always feel different when you have only one person in control to do what they want. It's usually interesting, whether it's something awesome like this, or a complete disaster like Runaway Nightmare.

One of the main actors has a bit too much makeup though

Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on May 26th, 2016, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

nah, that's just Heath Ledger before he got them scars.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/mun ... wanderung/ There's a short review on letterboxd that summarizes this incredible film perfectly: As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I have 6 more years to complete for my top 10s goal which are in the mid 1930s to mid 40s. Hopefully I'll be done in a few days (one good thing about the seasonal layoff period and the struggle of finding a job with no replies is that I have all the time in the world!). I will go back to silent films afterwards, for a potentially stupid decision. I'll see if I can make a top 10 for 1915 to 1919. Right now I can only make a top 11 for all 5 years combined, so it'll be potentially a lot of stuff to watch. Might end up asking for recommendations here, or maybe posting whatever gems I find. I can already see that it might be impossible to do so though. I'll start with 1917 since that one seems to be the most difficult (smallest number of entries in lists, people I follow in various sites, and random stuff on KG that looks cool).

After that, I'll also be sure to update my complementary silent selection list. I did a few changes in the list order (preference as opposed to reverse chronological) and fixed a few typos in his list description that I copied and pasted. But I'll change that. I'll make my list just like his, but better. Beat him in his own game (he has a huge lack of pre-1920s films in his list anyways).

The imdb list for the 1910s just has a bunch of Mary Pickford films. Bunch of fanboys.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on May 29th, 2016, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Man I still have two years without a #1. I ain't ever gonna get a top 10 for every year :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

1917 is now done! 4 years to go, although they seem easier (1918 looks a bit challenging as well though. Hard to find stuff that interests me)

2 hidden gems of the year:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/malombra/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/el+ultimo+malon/
allisoncm

Post by allisoncm »

Saw a few films this weekend:
Mothers of Men (they've been working on restoring this after finding a print in 1997)
Behind the Door
The Strongest (Sweden's last silent film)

Great musicians accompanying that they flew in from all over the world. Good crowds, especially for Mothers of Men. I recommend going to the SF Silent Film Festival if you can. I've been meaning to go for years and finally did.

Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

Ettinauer226XL on May 26 2016, 01:23:50 PM wrote:Rewatched segments of Os Faroleiros [Lighthouse Keepers] just to see how I feel about it now. Uprated it to 10/10 which I haven't done in over a year.
(...)
But is there a decent rip, or only the broken KG one? Or is it just 30 minutes longer than the original playtime?
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
albajos

Post by albajos »

01. La passion de Jeanne d'Arc (1928)
02. Chelovek s kino-apparatom (1929)
03. The General (1926)
04. The Circus (1928)
05. Le voyage dans la lune (1902)
06. Metropolis (1927)
07. Sherlock Jr. (1924)
08. The Kid (1921)
09. Bronenosets Potemkin (1925)
10. Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (1920)
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Gershwin on Jun 7 2016, 04:06:31 PM wrote:
Ettinauer226XL on May 26 2016, 01:23:50 PM wrote:Rewatched segments of Os Faroleiros [Lighthouse Keepers] just to see how I feel about it now. Uprated it to 10/10 which I haven't done in over a year.
(...)
But is there a decent rip, or only the broken KG one? Or is it just 30 minutes longer than the original playtime?
Oh the whole film is intact and it looks fine. It's just that after the film ends you get that tv colour bars screen, and then 30 minutes of static. Only bad thing about the rip is the interlacing (a nightmare for making screenshots) and no sound, but I know a few members make their own soundtracks for films anyways.

Yea this 1915-1919 thing was a bad idea. 8/10 now for 1915, and I do have a Bauer and a Sjöström to watch, so there's hope.

Ettinauer226XL on Jun 7 2016, 05:20:15 PM wrote:
Gershwin on Jun 7 2016, 04:06:31 PM wrote:
(...)
Oh the whole film is intact and it looks fine. It's just that after the film ends you get that tv colour bars screen, and then 30 minutes of static. Only bad thing about the rip is the interlacing (a nightmare for making screenshots) and no sound, but I know a few members make their own soundtracks for films anyways.

Yea this 1915-1919 thing was a bad idea. 8/10 now for 1915, and I do have a Bauer and a Sjöström to watch, so there's hope.
Of course, you have to watch the color bars and listen to the static to be able to check it.

As for these by-year top tens, I think I missed something at the outset with this idea. Are you just trying to see enough films from each year to be able to order them into a top ten, or are you trying to see enough films from each year that you can say ten times, "Aha! Here's a favorite worthy of a top ten list!"?
Last edited by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on June 7th, 2016, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Jun 7 2016, 05:34:28 PM wrote:
Ettinauer226XL on Jun 7 2016, 05:20:15 PM wrote:
Gershwin on Jun 7 2016, 04:06:31 PM wrote:But is there a decent rip, or only the broken KG one? Or is it just 30 minutes longer than the original playtime?

Of course, you have to watch the color bars and listen to the static to be able to check it.

As for these by-year top tens, I think I missed something at the outset with this idea. Are you just trying to see enough films from each year to be able to order them into a top ten, or are you trying to see enough films from each year that you can say ten times, "Aha! Here's a favorite worthy of a top ten list!"?
Yea it was in the personal film goals thread.

Not favourite worthy (8/10+) but all great films that I would recommend (7/10+) or I would take the time to put them on my tumblr account. I have the lists done for the most part. I had a top 10 for pre-1910s, one for 1910-1914, and 1915-1919. After finishing this I decided to try the potentially dumb move of making a top for each year for 1915 to 1919.

A lesson I learned here is that world wars suck. WW1 and WWII made these years quite difficult to make a top 10.

I'll have to update my favourite films list and St. Gloede's list idea that is stolen and made a lot better before finalizing my top 10s lists.

Oh the joy of being on a seasonal layoff period, having one online class that's a fucking joke and having no potential employers responding to you. All of this free time!
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on June 8th, 2016, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

1916 is def one of the easier years. I was wrong before though. 1917 doesn't look like the most difficult. I realized that I might be fucked for 1918.

I always start off with films that look interesting to me. Even with 1917 I had the best case scenario of making a top 10 if I loved everything that looked interesting. With 1918, that best case scenario would mean that I would end up with a top 6. I'm already resorting to "what I should rewatch?" before I'm even on that year. Any recommendations for this year? There is Vertov's Kino-Week, but only 14/43 issues are available... It is the year when WWI ended so I can see why it would be difficult.

Not silent-related but looking at my top 10s, there are a few later years that have a top 10 that I'm not satisfied with: 1976, 1980, 1981, 1985, 2004, 2006, and 2007. I should have little to no trouble finding a few more great films for these years.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Giving up with 1918 for now. It reached the point where I was gonna watch everything I can get my hands on and the vast majority of it looks like crap. Seriously, the next film I was gonna see was a fucking Tarzan film!

I can make a top 6. I'm just gonna make it a top 5 for now and add some creative fillers. I'll keep looking from time to time but I won't obsess over it. There's still Tih Minh which I've seen a while back but in shitty quality, and that unsubbed Italian Diva film that was recently found. Gotta wait for subs (obv) for the latter and I'd rather wait until I have a top 9 before rewatching something that's over 5 hours long.

Still asking for recommendations if anyone has anything but it looks like there's not much hope.
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

there's Vendémiaire, another serial by Feuillade from 1918, and it's only 148min. also, you ever sort by year and then gots on kg? I've found some solid picks that way.
Last edited by funkybusiness on June 13th, 2016, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness »

Fyrvaktarens dotter looks good. it's got lighthouse in the title, it has to be good! those are the rules!
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

funkybusiness on Jun 13 2016, 01:47:03 AM wrote:there's Vendémiaire, another serial by Feuillade from 1918, and it's only 148min. also, you ever sort by year and then gots on kg? I've found some solid picks that way.
I've browsed on KG, PTP and surrealmoviez. I didn't see that serial yet. I went through various lists here. Went through the charts on imdb (fucking garbage), RYM, mubi and letterboxd. I've also went stalked through quite a few users' ratings to find anything good.

Trust me, I've looked.

Les Travailleurs de la mer looks great, and it's by André Antoine who's definitely one of the better early directors, but I can't seem to find it.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on June 14th, 2016, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I do have Fyrvaktarens dotter and 2 more of his films downloaded, dunno how I'd feel about them. Maybe I'm just too impatient and wanna make my top 10s list public asap? Either way it's probably better to wait for a bit for some stuff to be subbed and some stuff to be available.

At least I found a great hidden gem of that year. The Life Story of David Lloyd George. A 2 and a half hour biopic of a politician, and somehow it's not boring as hell. Only Maurice Elvey could do something like that.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on June 13th, 2016, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

I just skimmed through The Grey Automobile and there's dialogue dubbed into a 1910s film :wacko: I can already see this fucking with my head so much. Now I'm not sure if this would count as a silent film or not.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on June 14th, 2016, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Ettinauer226XL on Jun 14 2016, 08:48:26 AM wrote:I just skimmed through The Grey Automobile and there's dialogue dubbed into a 1910s film :wacko: I can already see this fucking with my head so much. Now I'm not sure if this would count as a silent film or not.
Technically the 1919-version of that movie doesn't exist anymore, but it was re-edited later and sound was added:
Without doubt the most ambitious and important project of the Mexican silent film, "The Grey Automobile" is conceived as a series of 12 episodes in three sessions with documentary presentations. It tells the robberies committed in 1915 by the band called the gray car. The series is clearly divided into two parts: the first shows the number of robberies committed by the band and, second, whether the investigations carried out by the police, as the subsequent arrests of the gang, which culminates with the shooting the scenes documentary of wrongdoers.
Enrique Rosas, died on August 9, 1920 without fully enjoy the success of the series.
In 1933 his son Rodolfo Rosas added sound to the film and reduced the series to a conventional film of 111 minutes. With this reduction the tape suffered irreparable mutilation, he removed many of the intertitles, it lost its original meaning and various episodes and scenes are inconclusive or incomprehensible.
That first effort sound reinforcement is lost, but it retains that takes place between March and October of 1937, which are incorporated dialogues and background music. The negative is arranged in NY and Mexico.
The version presented in this commemorative edition has a slightly lower duration and results of a new process of dubbing done at some point in the 50's.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Sounds like you shouldn't check the 1919 version and make a 1933 version of it on imdb to check instead
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on June 14th, 2016, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Ettinauer226XL on Jun 14 2016, 09:01:04 AM wrote:Sounds like you shouldn't check the 1919 version and make a 1933 version of it on imdb to check instead
Maybe, maybe not. And then we should also debate what should be on the Unesco-list, or that both should be included.
I'm not going to bother.

From the Unesco-pdf:
ICM-profile
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Yep, definitely cheating. Not only that, but hypocritical as well. You check the 1979 version of Que Viva Mexico, and commented on the 1932 version saying that you shouldn't check this version, yet you're doing this for another Mexican film. FOR SHAME
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on June 14th, 2016, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

:tongue:
ICM-profile

Ettinauer226XL on Jun 9 2016, 09:30:04 PM wrote:1916 is def one of the easier years. I was wrong before though. 1917 doesn't look like the most difficult. I realized that I might be fucked for 1918.

I always start off with films that look interesting to me. Even with 1917 I had the best case scenario of making a top 10 if I loved everything that looked interesting. With 1918, that best case scenario would mean that I would end up with a top 6. I'm already resorting to "what I should rewatch?" before I'm even on that year. Any recommendations for this year? There is Vertov's Kino-Week, but only 14/43 issues are available... It is the year when WWI ended so I can see why it would be difficult.

Not silent-related but looking at my top 10s, there are a few later years that have a top 10 that I'm not satisfied with: 1976, 1980, 1981, 1985, 2004, 2006, and 2007. I should have little to no trouble finding a few more great films for these years.
What do you have for 1918 so far?
monty

Post by monty »

Holy shit, this looks amazing. Anyone seen it?

Helen of Troy / Helena. Der Untergang Trojas (1924)
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Jun 14 2016, 08:48:25 PM wrote:What do you have for 1918 so far?
https://rateyourmusic.com/film_collecti ... ss.rd/1918

Das Tagebuch des Dr. Hart is listed as 1916 on imdb.
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Updated my list where I don't copy St. Gloede's title, description and format to show that I am better than him.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/arth ... auer226xl/

It was in order of preference before, now it's in the same order as his. So I saved it as minor edit first so the -/+ rankings won't look like hell. Can't see new entries though. Hopefully I didn't miss anything, or accidentally posted something American.

Looks like I'm done with this thread. Will try to finish the top 10 lists by this weekend.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on June 15th, 2016, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monty

Post by monty »

@Ettie: Your forgot Helena - Der Untergang Trojas (1924)...
Pretentious Hipster
Donator

monty on Jun 15 2016, 06:05:53 PM wrote:@Ettie: You forgot Helena - Der Untergang Trojas (1924)...
It looks interesting but the screenshots you are showing are from the Edition Filmmuseum restoration, which I can't find.
Last edited by Pretentious Hipster on June 16th, 2016, 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Jun 21 2016, 08:45:27 PM wrote:Latest from Flicker Alley:

http://www.flickeralley.com/mod/?utm_so ... mpaign=MOD
The price is okay ($25 vs. their usual $35-$40), but I'm hesitant to invest in a BD-R. I have no idea how long it'll be before it deteriorates and I'm not sure anyone else knows. I much prefer pressed discs.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.