Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1998 (Results), DtC - Ratings (Apr 26th), Coming of Age (Apr 30th), 1933 (May 12th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Animation, Middle East
Film of the Week: Moya lyubov, May nominations (Apr 30th)

Silent films

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes »

Jacques Feyder's Les visages des enfants (1925).

And if you like (or have seen a surfeit of) Feuillade, Feyder's Le pied qui étreint (1916) is a fun parody. It's not a short as IMDb claims but a 4-episode serial available you know where.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!
Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje »

My favorites:

1. Safety Last! (1923)
2. The Circus (1928)
3. City Lights (1931)
4. The General (1926)
(-) Mest kinematograficheskogo operatora (1912)
5. The Gold Rush (1925)
6. Broken Blossoms or The Yellow Man and the Girl (1919)
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:I think four Aamir Khan films is enough for me. Unless I'm down to one film left on the IMDb Top 250 at some point and he's in that last film, at which point I'll watch it and then shoot myself having become the official-check-whoring person I hate.
More memorable quotes
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
Torgo wrote:Lammetje is some kind of hybrid Anna-Kendrick-lamb-entity to me and I find that very cool.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

Didn't know what thread to put it in, but I just started working on my first digital restoration project in grad school! Can't say what film for confidentiality reasons, but it's a silent-era short feature from a well-known-name director, and it's never been released on home media in any form. A pretty minor film overall, but still very fun and exciting.
Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor »

Congrats! :party: That's very exciting and a great opportunity, good luck! Keep us posted when you can share more about the project, would love to see a thread about it.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

TraverseTown wrote: April 4th, 2021, 6:48 am Didn't know what thread to put it in, but I just started working on my first digital restoration project in grad school! Can't say what film for confidentiality reasons, but it's a silent-era short feature from a well-known-name director, and it's never been released on home media in any form. A pretty minor film overall, but still very fun and exciting.
Neat! Will there be a point at which you can reveal the info or are you basically found to silence for life?
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

That's awesome Traverse! Can't wait to hear more details once you've finished it!
🧚‍♂️🦫
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

Knaldskalle wrote: April 4th, 2021, 6:27 pm
TraverseTown wrote: April 4th, 2021, 6:48 am Didn't know what thread to put it in, but I just started working on my first digital restoration project in grad school! Can't say what film for confidentiality reasons, but it's a silent-era short feature from a well-known-name director, and it's never been released on home media in any form. A pretty minor film overall, but still very fun and exciting.
Neat! Will there be a point at which you can reveal the info or are you basically found to silence for life?
Yes, the current end goal is to make a DCP as part of the institution's rental library, so I'll be able to talk about it once it's public info that the title is being released.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

DCP?
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Great, TraverseTown! :thumbsup: Keep us updated then.
Pretentious Hipster wrote: May 21st, 2016, 7:43 am http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0011716/

Something to Think About, a Cecil B. DeMille film, has a ridiculously high rating. 8.7/10 with 467 votes.

ICM: 8 checks
RYM: 0 ratings
Mubi: 0 ratings
Letterboxd: 1 rating, 6/10

Well, the title is telling the truth. This is something to think about.
The good news is that 5 years later, it's only a 5.2 at 579 votes!
:think: .. probably better that way?
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Torgo wrote: April 5th, 2021, 2:50 am Great, TraverseTown! :thumbsup: Keep us updated then.
Pretentious Hipster wrote: May 21st, 2016, 7:43 am http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0011716/

Something to Think About, a Cecil B. DeMille film, has a ridiculously high rating. 8.7/10 with 467 votes.

ICM: 8 checks
RYM: 0 ratings
Mubi: 0 ratings
Letterboxd: 1 rating, 6/10

Well, the title is telling the truth. This is something to think about.
The good news is that 5 years later, it's only a 5.2 at 579 votes!
:think: .. probably better that way?
I'd say it's somewhere in between. I gave it a 7.2/10
🧚‍♂️🦫
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

xianjiro wrote: April 5th, 2021, 1:54 amDCP?
A digital cinema package. More or less, a file package that allows for high-quality uncompressed exhibition of digital films. Think of it as the hard-drive that movie theaters get nowadays that contains the films that they show. It allows for high-quality presentation, but also very encrypted too, which is why it's nearly impossible for movie theater employees to leak movies online nowadays. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Cinema_Package
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Great - more cinema jargon to pack into the brain. Thanks and enjoy the project! :) Sounds fun